icon

bunch of sub box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
killa101 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2008 at 11:43 PM / IP Logged  
I have a couple of random questions about sub enclosures.
1) Is there ever too much cross sectional of a vent for a vented enclosure. I know that if you have too small of a cross sectional area the air velocity is high but is there anything wrong with too large a cross sectional area? When I have used WinISD to find the air velocity I have been trying to make it as low as possible while being resonable.
2) What are tranmission line enclosures? Is there some links about the basics of them. What are the pros and cons? I know that they take up a lot of space but they are very efficient right?
3) What are some good books/sources for finding out more about the art of enclosure making? I want to know more about how to make enclosures. I know all the basics of making sealed and ported but I'm sure there is more out there that I can learn to take into account when making a box.
4) This is about boxes but about Bassbox Pro. Can you make the port fit in the enclosure when it does the diagram? My port lengths are fairly long so they won't fit in the box. Is there any way to get it to calculate the turn in the enclosure?
5) I heard there is something in bassbox that where you can use something that takes into account the vehicle it is in. What do you need to do this and how do you do it?
Any help on any of these questions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2008 at 10:29 AM / IP Logged  

1)  Sure.  Too large a port results in very long length for a given tuning.  Also, an exceptionally large port turns your bass reflex enclosure into a modified dipole.

2)  A TL is a type of waveguide that (when done properly) results in higher efficiency at the fs of the driver.  It can allow a given speaker to produce more low-end output than most other types of enclosures with the trade-off of lower power handling.  Yes, they can be very large depending on the tuning frequency.

3) Start HERE, good books at the bottom of the page.

4) and 5)  I am not familiar with BassBox Pro.

Support the12volt.com
killa101 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2008 at 2:05 AM / IP Logged  
i was reading more about tl enclosures and it seems like everyone was saying there is not much of a science to them. you pretty much have to do a bunch of trial and error and hope to get lucky. is this true or is there a definate method on a tl design?
i'm just curious about this tl enclosure because i haven't really heard much about them. are they really worth trying to make if you are looking to SQ?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2008 at 12:12 PM / IP Logged  

I do not recommend trying to build a transmission line enclosure unless you are a very experienced speaker builder.  There is definitely a lot of science to them.  Check out http://www.quarter-wave.com.

My recommendation is to build the proper type of enclosure for the speaker you plan to use, especially if you are just starting out.

Support the12volt.com
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 10, 2008 at 2:54 PM / IP Logged  
indeed DYohn...there is quite a bit of science to to transmission line enclosures....definitely not for the novice

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic