icon

alternator upgrade enough?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mrjoeyjiffy86 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2008 at 2:35 PM / IP Logged  
So I just found out today that my father cant get my stock alternator upgraded for free through a friend, I havent got the details but im assuming somewhere near 200 amps, my question is, will that be enough to power my new system(about 1700 watts rms) or will I need to get a yellow top as well?
2001 Chevrolet Tahoe
Waiting to be installed:
Infinity reference 6022i 6.5 2-way
Hifonics titan txi 4006
Hifonics brutus bxi2006
Pioneer DEH-P780mp
Waiting for my paychecks :(
(2) Jbl W12gti
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2008 at 3:46 PM / IP Logged  
How much are you going to be spending?? 200amps should be ok with an upgraded battery too.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
greenbroncoguy 
Copper - Posts: 299
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2008 at 4:02 PM / IP Logged  

A 200a alternator should suffice for any system you would want to run in a normal, daily driver. And x2 on the upgraded battery as well.

-Matt

mrjoeyjiffy86 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2008 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  
i meant to say CAN* get the alternator upgraded, will a 200 amp alt be enough for a system of that power WITHOUT upgrading the battery? or will a battery upgrade still be necessary?
2001 Chevrolet Tahoe
Waiting to be installed:
Infinity reference 6022i 6.5 2-way
Hifonics titan txi 4006
Hifonics brutus bxi2006
Pioneer DEH-P780mp
Waiting for my paychecks :(
(2) Jbl W12gti
greenbroncoguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2008 at 6:33 PM / IP Logged  

You are still going to want to upgrade your battery...

-Matt

n2audio 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2008 at 9:55 AM / IP Logged  

If you do much engine off listening you might want a 2nd battery.  Just replacing the one won't amount to much improvement.

If you don't listen with the engine off a battery doesn't play much of a role, especially with an alt that large.

greenbroncoguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2008 at 11:49 AM / IP Logged  
n2audio wrote:

If you do much engine off listening you might want a 2nd battery.  Just replacing the one won't amount to much improvement.

If you don't listen with the engine off a battery doesn't play much of a role, especially with an alt that large.

And if you are going to put in a 2nd battery, you are REALLY going to need to upgrade your alternator. Having to charge 2 batteries is a sure-fire way to kill a stock alternator designed to charge only one...

The battery will actually still play a fairly significant role, as the alternator is going to be slow to respoind to transieant peaks in your music - such as quick, snappy bass notes. This is where having enough battery is going help you out in addition to if you play your system alot with the car off.

-Matt

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic