icon

1992 mercedes 400se

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lsondubz 
Copper - Posts: 193
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2008 at 3:15 PM / IP Logged  
Customer brought in a 92 Mercedes 400SE with stock bose and wants the radio swapped to an aftermarket unit. I pulled the radio out and there isnt any speaker leads or antenna, so I looked into the trunk an found the bose amp and what I think is the radio tuner, Has anyone rewired one of these or gotten it to run through the factory bose?
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2008 at 3:51 PM / IP Logged  

I turned the last one away. It's a nightmare!

Quite simply, the labor I needed to charge outweighed the price of the radio. The customer didn't want to spend that much, and I understood.

Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,366
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2008 at 8:36 PM / IP Logged  

hi,

assuming the system operates fine already (bose amp hasn't taken a c...), you really don't need to do much.

the stock radio location has battery, accessory, ground, illumination, power antenna or amplifier turn-on (one or the other) for the new headunit.  you'll need to add an extension cable for the antenna, additional remote lead, and a pair of cables for your audio signal (rca's).  the stock system uses a fader in the dash/console. 

connect your extension cable to the cable plugged into the tuner box in the trunk.  the female tab terminal (next to the power connector) on the tuner is a remote lead.  all that's needed now is audio signal (on tuner chassis also). it should be either two 2-pin connectors or a 3-pin one.  the 2-pin ones are marked for polarity, the center terminal of the three pin is the signal common. make your connections here.

hope this helps

mark

Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,366
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2008 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  

hi again,

forgot to add...you can try the speaker outputs or the line outs for input for the amp.  the line outs will work best if the headunit has a higher voltage preout (2V +).  if not enough output, then try the speaker outputs.  you may need to add an adjustable line output converter if there is too much output however.

mark

lsondubz 
Copper - Posts: 193
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2008 at 9:27 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks, I figured Id have to do all of that I just didnt know if the factory system was speaker level input or not...

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic