icon

trunk with clean slate

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cody2white 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2008 at 4:19 PM / IP Logged  

Okay i sold my old system out of my 1999 buick century and now i want to make my own setup. this will be my first time attempting to fg so i hope it all goes well. alright now for some pictures. sorry about the B&W its the only way i could resize it and get it under 30kb =/

trunk with clean slate -- posted image.

how would i go about doing my trunk? im thinking 2 12" kicker l7's sealed, mated with a hifonics amp.

should i lay mdf on the bottom and fiber up the curves? how about that old drynamat haha. should i take it out?

any info will help out GREATLY. Thanks guys

cody2white 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2008 at 12:03 AM / IP Logged  

i havent seen to many ported fiberglass boxes. I only had one ported so far and i dont miss it, i like the bass notes to hit LOW so i go with sealed. whats your setup, what do you prefer?

bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2008 at 12:27 AM / IP Logged  
cody2white wrote:

Okay i sold my old system out of my 1999 buick century and now i want to make my own setup. this will be my first time attempting to fg so i hope it all goes well. alright now for some pictures. sorry about the B&W its the only way i could resize it and get it under 30kb =/

~snip~

Don't worry about B&W as long as we can see what you are doing, that's all that really matters at this point

cody2white wrote:

how would i go about doing my trunk? im thinking 2 12" kicker l7's sealed, mated with a hifonics amp.

should i lay mdf on the bottom and fiber up the curves? how about that old drynamat haha. should i take it out?

~snip

~snip~

~snip~

any info will help out GREATLY. Thanks guys

How you go about the project is up to you but I would keep the Dynamat in, unless you are willing to scrape and clean that off and redo it all over again. If anything I would add onto it, or heat it up and make sure that all bubbles are gone from the DM. 

cody2white wrote:
i havent seen to many ported fiberglass boxes. I only had one ported so far and i dont miss it, i like the bass notes to hit LOW so i go with sealed. whats your setup, what do you prefer?

Hmmm... if you are trying to go low, it is better to go ported rather than sealed. If the music sounded really muddy on the lower notes it was probably tuned poorly (if hte port was tuned at all) and/or there was a lot of distortion in the signal to the woofers. Sealed helps hide the distortion a bit more and improves power handling, but it sacrifices output and lowest frequencies for it.

Me personally, I love super clean bass that is smooth and predictable. Nothing annoys me more than blaring booms from people who have lost all parts of the music and converted it to just a loud burst of air (almost to the point where it's no longer bass but just a big rush of air). Sealed 10s for me if I am looking for quality sound, but I don't mind a well tuned ported setup once and a while.

My setup changes about every 6 months or so (gotta love sponsors) but it's generally the same stuff each time. 6.5-6.75 components up front, 6.5 coaxial/triaxials rear with a 5-channel amp (if available) and 10s in however I feel at the time.

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic