icon

can someone identify this w/ pic

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
13ringinheat 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2008 at 6:18 AM / IP Logged  
Hey guys need help here from you gurus. I bought a car from a dealership and it had this gadget with the key that i didnt pay any mind to thinking its an alarm system button. After getting the car i realized this thing is a proximity security device or a vehicle immobilizer device, without having this attached to your key the car will not start but the battery powers up just the ignition does not function. THe "identity" is actually a button when pressed lights up that exclamation mark on top of it with a red not sure what that does though. The FCC id in the back says QY7ADM62_(its faded after the 2)
I have a two part question....
1) what the hell is this
2) how to get another one or how to take it off the car so that the car starts without having it on my keys.
Any help or clue will be very appreciated since i have done plenty of google searches with no help since i have no idea what company even makes this and no its not identity.....
can someone identify this w/ pic -- posted image.
can someone identify this w/ pic -- posted image.
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 14, 2008 at 6:49 AM / IP Logged  
Answered in the other post.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 14, 2008 at 9:04 AM / IP Logged  
I just had to troubleshoot one of those a month or two ago! You don't have a 2005 Chevy pickup and live north of Boston, do you?
Anyway, here's what I remember:
--The owner's manual said the product came from Southwest Dealer Services, in California, website www.karrsecurity.com.
--In normal everyday use, you're not supposed to have to press that button. The remote (I think) always emits a weak signal, for the starter kill system to "look for."
--In the event the battery in the remote is weak, or you're in an area that has interference, you can hold the button on the remote, which makes the signal stronger........if this allows the car to start, then the battery in the remote is weak, and you should replace it right away.
--Open your underhood relay/fuse box, and you should see a variety of fuses and relays.
One of those relays will have a slightly different appearance, and a shorth length of wire sticking out of it.
This is basically a replacement for your factory starter relay, with a little radio receiver built into it, which is expecting a signal from that remote on your keychain.
If your fusebox cover is labeled, or if you have your owner's manual for the car, it's the "start" relay that you're looking for.
Anyway, if you want to eliminate the system, all you have to do is pop out that relay, and put the original style relay in place.
Depending on the car, it might just be the same inexpensive SPDT relay commonly used by car alarm installers, or it could be something proprietary.
If you're at all unsure, just go to the car dealer's parts department and buy the relay from them. It'll cost more, but it's not an outrageously priced part or anything........maybe $20-30 at most.
13ringinheat 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2008 at 4:17 PM / IP Logged  
Wow chris thanks for the info that really shed some light on the problem i have. Do u think i can take it to any car security installer and have it uninstalled?
13ringinheat 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2008 at 4:18 PM / IP Logged  
Oh the car i have is a nissan 350z
rbimdxe 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2008 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged  
dude. read it again. its something you can do yourself.
Car audio/security/electronic stores will charge you to remove it. It's simple enough to look for and solve, if it is the same set-up as already mentioned. ;)
hydroz_23 
Copper - Posts: 97
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2008 at 10:42 PM / IP Logged  
it is a silencer piece. the factory starter kill relay will be in the glove box, center console or alot of times it will be in a plastic bag zip tied under the driver seat.
13ringinheat 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2008 at 11:50 PM / IP Logged  
Damn sorry to be such a noob but what do u mean by silencer piece hydroz?
Not too proficient in car wiring and stuff rbimdxe unless its super easy to figure out i am more inclined to give it to someone who is more confident about their ability than i am.
Chris Luongo 
Posted: February 15, 2008 at 7:19 AM / IP Logged  
If you REALLY want to pay someone:
--Try to find a place that does car dealership work. Maybe your local Nissan dealer might tell you who they use. The guys at Best Buy, Circuit City, and so forth, probably haven't seen a system like this before. They can figure it out, but it'll take them longer.
--Depending on the shop's attitude, they're either going to walk out to the parking lot, spend 30 seconds popping the relay out, and tell you to have a nice day.............or pull the car inside for an hour where you can't see it, sit around having coffee, and then spend 30 seconds removing the relay, but charge you pretty good for it.
Man, there's really NOTHING to this.
Open your owner's manual, look up "fuses" in the Index, and find out where the underhood fuse/relay box is. (The fuses and relays are generally in the same compartment.)
On most cars, the fusebox cover just unsnaps, no tools needed.
The diagram in the owner's manual should show you which is the "start" relay. Locate that in the fuse/relay box.
Guarantee that even with no installation skills, you'll see that this aftermarket relay has a slightly different appearance than all the other original ones.
A small (and preferably plastic) tool might aid you in prying the relay out, but generally you can just rock it back and forth and it'll pull out by hand.
What hydroz_23 was telling you is that it's possible that instead of throwing away the car's factory starter relay, the installer may have hidden it somewhere inside the car.......worth making a search for it before you go buy one.
Chris Luongo 
Posted: February 15, 2008 at 7:23 AM / IP Logged  
I thought I might also add that if you can't seem to find a mobile-electronics shop that seems to understand what you're talking about, you might consider the Nissan dealer.
If you find a local shop that knows what this thing is and/or is smart, they should probably do it for a reasonable cost...........on the other hand, if they're not familiar with it at all, it's going to take them a lot longer to figure out, and they'll charge you accordingly.
On the other hand, the dealership will charge more per hour, but they know (or can easily look up in their computer) EXACTLY where the factory starter relay is, and their parts department might even have the factory relay in stock.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic