icon

alarming my fuel door

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2008 at 12:38 PM / IP Logged  
You can use the green (negative trigger) door circuit trigger. Run it to one of the two contacts on the reed switch. It should be to the normally open terminal, but check your switch with a ohm meter first. The NO (normally open)terminal should have continuity with the other contact until you place the magnet that comes with the switch next to it. Some swithes you may have to connct the green wire to the NC (normally closed) terminal. The CO or common terminal on the switch goes to a good ground. The idea is that if the magent is mounted to the fuel door and the switch to the body, when you open the fuel door the magnet is moved away from the switch. The switch then connects the two terminals and sends a ground to the green door trigger circuit. Make sure that you mount the magent close to the switch so they work as desired. Different magnetic reed switches have different tolerances. Some will activate when the magnet is only a fraction of a inch away from the switch, while others allow an inch or so of movement before responding. Remember to protect the contacts on the switch in some manner to prevent corrossion.
sparky
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,672
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 22, 2008 at 3:35 PM / IP Logged  
He needs to use the normally closed contact.  With the magnet near the switch it will make the contact open.  Open the door and the magnet leaves allowing the switch to close. 
12voltexpert 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2008 at 6:22 PM / IP Logged  
Could I use an extra hood pin in the fuel door. So when it opens the alarm goes off, same as the hood pin under the hood. I think it would work better than the magnetic reed switch which can false. What do you guys think.
gregbbb 
Copper - Posts: 82
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2008 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged  

Hi

I am in the boat as you just wanted to know if you used the extra hood pin for your gas door? and if it works.

I have the same viper as you but i have the trunk - wire free or i dont know if can use the same green ground wire that go's to my bypass?

Did you ever get it to work?

Thanks

andrewdirt101 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2008 at 4:31 PM / IP Logged  

I see this is an old thread... but I have the same question as originally posted. Where can I find a magnetic reed switch suitable for this? I've wired a set of horns directly from the battery, with a toggle switch in the cab of my truck to switch the system off or on.  When switched on, the power will be blocked by the switch at the fuel door, and when opened, the circuit completes, and power is fed to the horn relay, which in turn feeds the horns. Of course, if I don't want an ear-full at the pump, i just push the toggle to "off" and then i'm free to open it without any racket.

i just need a reed switch that can handle the current flow. anybody have any suggestions?

i am an idiot 
Posted: June 19, 2008 at 7:12 AM / IP Logged  

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?parentPage=search&summary=summary&cp=&productid=2419298&accessories=accessories&kw=magnetic+switch&techSpecs=techSpecs&currentTab=techSpecs&custRatings=custRatings&sr=1&features=features&origkw=magnetic+switch&support=support&tab=summary

Above is a switch that should work for you.  The only problem I see is that I am not able to find any specs of the current capacity of the switch.  A standard Bosch/Tyco relay has a 75 ohm coil, thus making it pull 160 milliamps to keep it energized.   Using this switch the way the other guy was using it would be no problem.  He was connecting it to an alarm.  The following link is to a relay that pulls only 30 milliamps.  The switch is going to be able to handle this current.  I have no idea how much current your horns pull, but if it is close to the 10 amp max of this relay, you may have to make this relay trip the bosch/tyco relay and let it handle the current.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productid=2062482&cp=&sr=1&origkw=relay&kw=relay&parentPage=search

andrewdirt101 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2008 at 12:30 AM / IP Logged  

i see what you're saying. i found that switch last night and wondered the same thing. i'm sure the horn relay i've got pulls around 160 mA as you stated. horns take quite a bit. 2nd only to the starter.

so let me see if i got you right. i run wire from the switch to the 10A relay, and then from that relay, connect it to the horn relay. so id essentially be using one relay to feed the other. correct?

i am an idiot 
Posted: June 20, 2008 at 2:45 AM / IP Logged  

Correct.   If when you purchase the switch, there is a spec sheet with it, maybe they have the current capacity of the switch.

If it is capable of 500Milliamps, you can go agead and run your relay directly. 

audioinstaller3 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2008 at 7:07 PM / IP Logged  
That sounds like a good idea, with gas prices going up, and I'm sure people will be trying to cypher gas out of peoples tanks soon if not already. I would try and use a magnetic reed switch.
lostissues 
Copper - Posts: 103
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2008 at 8:00 PM / IP Logged  

this is directed towards the beginning of the post where people were saying to use the unused -trigger wire (to the fuel door) in addition to the +trigger wire (already attached to car doors). I know someone who tried to use both - and + triggers and it freaked out his alarm. just make sure you can use both triggers without confusing the unit.

Jonathan

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic