icon

changing interior fabric color

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
seeker1 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2008 at 12:31 AM / IP Logged  

I've been working on this 96 mustang for my daughter, now for about 6 mo's. Every weekend, days off, in my sleep, while I'm driving . . . . .  You get the idea. I've tweaked the heck out of it electronically. Largely do to the ideas and help from this site. THANKS all. I'm getting down to the last couple of things on my list of to do's. This one is (drum roll). I'd like to change the color of the seats. There a gray tweed type fabric now. Has anybody color dyed, or does anybody know how to color dye interior fabric?

Seeker1

96 Mustang

Complete new front suspension, struts, steering rack & power steering pump, ball joints, tie rod ends, energy suspension bushings (all red), 1 pcs headlight w/halo and angel eyes, smoke tint tail lights & fogs.

Blue LED theme. Wheel wells, scoops (hood & sides) front grill, all stock lighting changed out to blue LED's. Blue LED strings added to the cabin for more illumination. Interior switches and handles changed out with Billet brushed chrome replacements. White face el wire reverse glow gauge face's. DLR's

Audiovox alarm w/remote start. Extra channels on alarm control, heater/air conditioner, stereo, windows & LED's. Infinity amps, JL audio 6x9's in the doors and rear deck, 10" JL 10w6 sub in the trunk. Extra Kenitek battery and battery isolator for stereo and lights.  Dynamat in the doors and trunk. 100 lbs of wire to hold it all together, a partridge and a pear tree.

Only the strong survive.
Eat the weak.
bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2008 at 1:15 AM / IP Logged  

I've done a bit of it. Since dyes vary from brand to brand (or even batch to batch), the effects will vary.

We've used high end dyes and down to the Walmart stuff. Nothing is as good as just doing all new upholstery, but if you are on a budget, then dyes are a good alternative.

It is always best to follow the manufacturer's directions, but to get started see if you can start on a swatch of cloth from an area you can't see, or find a matching swatch (best of luck for the latter)

• The mixing will vary but the basics are generally the same. You'll have to get the upholstery off the seats by separating the retaining rings (aka hog rings) and peeling them off gently.
  • Heat water to recommended temperature.
  • Add your dye and mix.
  • Add your cloth to the mix. (I prefer to do all the cloth at once to keep the tones as close as possible)
  • Let sit for recommended time, stirring often to keep the color consistant.
  • Just a little bit before the recommended time, lift the cloth out for a bit to see the tone.

Remember that because the cloth is wet, the color may be darker than hat the dry color is.

Also, since the cloth is already gray, colors may be different and you'll need to compensate when choosing your color.

• Once the desired color is achieved, get all the cloth out as evenly as possible.
  • I found for best setting color, most dyes will allow you to put the cloth in an airtight (or well sealed) bag and let it sit for 48-72 hours.
  • Then wash the cloth on light settings (cold/cold) with no soap.
  • Let that air dry.
  • Reinstall onto the seats and attach hog rings (preferrably new rings)

Last but certainly not least, HAVE FUN!

Oh and I highly stress wearing clothes that you don't care about getting dirty/splotches on it.

Ganbatte ne!

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic