icon

voltage regulators

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
donkason 
Copper - Posts: 189
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2003 at 8:21 PM / IP Logged  
I am going to install a high output alternator (180-200 amps) on my 1997 camaro. It will be replacing my existing 105 amp alt. It will be pushing a soudstream ref. 700s with a 60 amp fuse in it and a soundstream lil' wonder with a 40 amp fuse in it. I have for my primary battery a brand new diehard. For a high amp application like this do I need to use a voltage regulator, replace my diehard with a deep cycle battery, use a cap. I really don't know what I need to optimize a high amp alternator. Any suggestions.
Thanks.
thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2003 at 1:10 AM / IP Logged  
Use a cap, that is more than what you need for the soundstream.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.voltage regulators - Last Post -- posted image.
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2003 at 10:09 AM / IP Logged  
I have to applaud you because most people don’t understand the import ants of providing their amps with the proper power. Your voltage regulator should be built into your alternator on that car. Now it’s the choice of the alternator builder whether to leave it inside or convert it to an external regulator. What you need to do is call the manufacture/builder of your high output alternator and ask them. As far as the battery if you plan to run the system with the car off it’s a good idea to get a deep cycle. They are designed to be drained and charge time and time again where as the Diehard isn’t. If you plan on the occasional playing music with the car off then just stick with the Diehard. As far as the caps go if you have the money doesn’t hurt to add them but don’t expect to see or hear any difference with or without them.
donkason 
Copper - Posts: 189
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2003 at 8:32 PM / IP Logged  
I talked to a guy at the local stereo shop that used to compete and he told me that he ran 6 deepcycle batteries off of his stock alternator. He also told me just to add a battery and leave my stock alternator. Does this make sense? I know he is a pro but it doesn't add up to me. I was always told to start at the source when on a quest for more juice, which is the alternator. Is this a better way to go than putting a new alt. in? Thanks for your help and time
J. Mike Perkins
robHI 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2003 at 12:26 AM / IP Logged  
u can run two alternators. i would replace your stock one for a high output 1
bdl666 
Silver - Posts: 330
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2003 at 2:07 AM / IP Logged  
I agree with adding a cap if you have the money. But I don't agree at all with what your installer told you. If you put 6 deep cycle batteries it doesn't matter if you upgrade the alternator it will burn in a matter of weeks and to charge 6 deep cycle batteries it takes a lot of juice that that the engine,system and the batteries are going to be fighting over. Every time you add something to your electrical system you increase the load to your alternator. The multiple batteries are for spl vehicles that don't get driven at all and the engine is just there to move the vehicle to the judging lanes and to charge the arsenal of batteries needed to power those beasts. Just get the cap or if you are like me and leave the system on with the engine of you should get a deed cycle battery because your diehard is not going to be happy with the abuse. If you have room in the engine compartment and you can have two alternators installed you can keep the factory alternator and diehard for the car and the aftermarket alternator and deepcycle for the system. But if you don't leave the music on with the engine off then you should be fine with just getting the new alternator.
p.s.
Stay away from that installer.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic