icon

valet starter with 1996 chevy blazer

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dorlow 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2008 at 9:59 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, I just spent two days trying to get this remote starter to work and I didn't get anywhere. So, as of now, I've reverted most of what I did.
A few days ago, I ran across this gizmo on the internet...
http://www.truckaccessories4less.net/gm-1.html
I thought this was the coolest idea. I'd just order that and it would have all the leads for me that would be needed for a remote starter, I'd put that in there, and there'd be no splices that I needed to worry about shorting out.
Well, I received it and then I went out and bought a Valet 561R remote starter. I attempted to install it in a 1996 Chevy Blazer. The wiring harness fit perfect. It didn't work as slick as I was hoping though. It had quite a bit of lead wires coming out of the wiring harness. The problem is the wiring harness didn't come with any directions.
So I ended up having to install it following the same directions from the remote starter and having to test all the wires for the ones that had voltage when they were supposed to.
This is the way I have it hooked up last...
These colors are the colors of the factory wiring harness and not the after market harness... I just followed the wires to see what the corresponded to...
Heavy Guage relay wiring
Car Harness            Remote Starter
Yellow Purple
Red     Red
Red     Red
Pink    Pink
White   Pink/White
Orange Orange
For the car harness, the reds are all time +12V
The Yellow is +12 V when the car is turning over
Pink is +12 V when the key is in the on position
White is +12 V when the key is on
WHITE/ Red is 12 V when key is on
I'm not hooking up the door locks right now...
For the remote starter H2 wiring harness
For the BLACK/ white neutral safety switch input, right now, I have that running through the switch, then running to ground.
The PURPLE / white wire (tach input wire), I have that running rhough the firewall to the coil. This part I wasn't familiar with, but my dad helped me figure out which wire to hook to so I could send the input for the tac.
The brown brake switch wire is running to the brake lights so when the brakes are pressed, the 12 volts run to the line to shut down the car.
The hood pin switch isn't hooked up yet. As much as I can tell, it should run without it. When the button is up because the hood is open, it grounds out the wire to the frame. If the wire isn't grounded, then the car should run. So it should run without it for now
The defogger output, I haven't ran that yet.
When I first started the adventure today, when I got it as close to being done as I did, when I pushed the remote starter button two times, the car turned over but wouldn't start. It worked kind of wierd though. I'd push it twice, the lights would blink twice. I had to do this about 3-4 times then the lights would blink a whole bunch of times, then you'd hear the starter firing up, the engine would turn over and then it wouldn't turn over long enough (about a second or two) then nothing. I tried to going into the programming mode and increasing it to the highest mode possible, but still didn't help.
Since then, I was trying to figure out why it was doing this, so I ended up redoing everything. I didn't write down the way it was then so I'm not sure why I can't get it to turn over again.
Now it's all wired the way I wrote above. When I push the lock/unlock button, you can hear it trying to lock and unlock, even though it's not hooked up and the lights blink saying it's locking and unlocking. When I push the starter button two times, it doesn't do anything. I've been messing with the programming of the remote. I performed the programming of 8 which supposedly erases all keyfobs from the remote starter. Some reason, after I do that, my keyfob still locks and unlocks (or at least tries) which I'm not sure why it still works after I just erased all the keyfobs. I then went into the transmitter/receiver learn routine. I did the key on --> selected 4 (for the remote start) and then while the button was still pushed down and the LED is blinking increments of four, I push the remote starter yellow button on the keyfob and then let up on the button under the dash. It doesn't seem to learn anything. I then push the remote starter button two times and it still does nothing. So, right now, I'm not sure if I have a wiring issue, or if I have a programming issue.
I tried entering into diagnostics mode and it doesn't give me anything back to why it's not starting.
So, if anyone could give me some logical troubleshooting ideas. My dad thinks there's something wrong with it and it thinks I should've returned it and got another one. I think it's still a wiring or programming issue.
Please help!!! As of now, I pulled everything out and I 'm back to square one.
Bmnicolosi 
Copper - Posts: 173
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2008 at 10:38 PM / IP Logged  
you really seem like you might want to pay a professional.  no offense, but a remote starter is not a place to just jump into if you dotn know what you're doing.
If you say "I already know how", don't ask me a single question.
dmorlow 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2008 at 11:25 AM / IP Logged  
Ok, so maybe I gave up easy, but I'm going to take it to Circuit City and pay them the $120 to have them install it.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic