icon

dash panel fabrication mercedes cl500

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
erotic1 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2008 at 12:15 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 2001 Mercedes CL500. I am preparing to remove the factory Comand 2.5 (pictured left) and replace it with 9" wide touch screen monitor.
dash panel fabrication mercedes cl500 -- posted image.
I would like to make the dash panel look stock again like the photoshop image I made (pictured right). What kind of solution is best for this modification?
erotic1 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2008 at 12:53 PM / IP Logged  
I would not mind sending the panel out to someone to do this work for me along with the wood grain match paint if anyone is interested or knows a company that can help....
Melted Fabric 
Silver - Posts: 509
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2008 at 3:44 PM / IP Logged  
Putting myself in your shoes, my first concern is the integration of wiring regarding the components in the picture on the left. What I mean by that is...
Are the controls for the area above and below it integrated with it, or attached to it on a shared module/wired bundle?
Will the other components still function if I remove the "centerpiece" and replace it with "foreign" components?
If nothing will be affected by the removal of it. I would move forward and detach (carefully) the whole center console, and then from there separate the stock screen and related controls from the woodgrain panel and then make sure the new screen will mount properly to it, if so, make the cutout just a tad smaller than it should be, and then sand it down or grind it while constantly doing a test fit to ensure a proper fit.
If this seems a little too advanced for you at this time, you can always contact the awesome team over at www.hzemall.com
They are in Canada, but like you mentioned, you could always send them the piece you want done and do the rest after you receive it back from them. Let me know if that helps.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.
erotic1 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2008 at 4:14 PM / IP Logged  
Im, sorry I did not make it clear in my post. Actually, I'm installing a tablet pc in the dash... all the wiring through out the car is complete now... The computer is ready to be mounted.
I am only looking to have the dash panel cut and fitted for a wide screen type display. It then has to fiberglassed and then repainted to match the factory wood grain. This is the only part of the installation that is holding me up right now.
Another user sent me a link privately to some fiber glass forums and recommended a user over there. I have been searching salvage yards looking for the same dash panel so I can send one out to get refabricated and not have a big open dash.
Thanks!
5150azn 
Silver - Posts: 584
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2008 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  
I also have a question in the same regards.
I've sent my parts out to get wood grained or black wood colored before. Like this limo place they just wrap my parts in a laminate or something. Does anyone have a suggestion on where or how to get your custom dash parts wood grained matched?
Tell the Snap-On guy I'm not here!
crewwzin 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2008 at 12:08 PM / IP Logged  

Give the guys over at Patterntek a shout...I think they might have an answer to your question.

http://www.patterntek.com

I'd rather be in the boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with a boat on the rocks!
erotic1 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2008 at 12:32 PM / IP Logged  
I had contacted King Pin (patterntek) previously and they said that they MIGHT be able to match the wood grain but they will not do the fabrication changes to the dash panel.
bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2008 at 3:54 AM / IP Logged  

Being a mercedes, that wood grain is most likely a real wood... I don't think Patterntek would be able to give a truly convincing blend. My bet is that IF they take the job, they'll have you sign a waiver stating that they are not responsible if the match isn't close enough.

Best thing to do really is get another bezel from MB and ask what the wood is. Find some extra of the wood and get a hold of an experienced carpenter (Not a woodworker) and have them do the modification.

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
joyrydn 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2008 at 9:46 PM / IP Logged  
if you had the wood piece and were close to my location, i can fabricate just about anything out of wood.  but since that is out of the ?, try to find a master woodsmith, this might run you into a financial bind, but if its exact you want be prepared to spend alot.
Make it Euro'n!!!
Ickster40 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2008 at 4:43 PM / IP Logged  
I have a custom bike shop in town airbrushes the dash to match the grain, I've down four mercedes mods, and they turned out perfect, can be expensive!!!
DJ,Scottsdale Extreme Sound
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic