icon

tuning a box i'm confused

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tubbs04 
Copper - Posts: 212
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2008 at 11:33 PM / IP Logged  

I've got a cerwin-vega stroker and the online manual says to build an enclosure 2.25 cuft tuned to 40 hz. Well I emailed the company to ask if they had tested the sub in other enclosures and how well they did. They told me the sub performed it's best in a vented enclosure 2.39 cuft tuned to 28hz. What I'm confused about is the manual says the frequency response is from 40hz-200hz, so why would they recomend me to tune it to 28hz? Isn't that out of the speakers range?

...don't crush the weasel...
tubbs04 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2008 at 11:56 PM / IP Logged  
Now I find another manual that says the frequency response is from 20hz to 300hz. What the hell??
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 20, 2008 at 12:06 AM / IP Logged  
how low a speaker plays depends on the enclosure more than what the specs say
tubbs04 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2008 at 7:05 AM / IP Logged  

right, but if the customer service guy tells me to tune it one way, the manual say's different, and then an online manual says something different, which one do I go by?

sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2008 at 7:40 PM / IP Logged  

Can you link to everything you are talking about?

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
tubbs04 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2008 at 9:53 PM / IP Logged  

sorry, I should have posted them the first go around.  This is for the stroker 122. Thanks for the help!

http://www.cerwinvegamobile.com/manuals/mobile/cv_mobile_brochure0506.pdf  (page 3)

http://www.cerwinvegamobile.com/manuals/mobile/strokercutsheet.pdf  (page 1)

http://www.cerwinvegamobile.com/CVM_enclosures.html

and the serivice rep sent me an email saying to build the enclosure 2.3927cuft @ 28 hz. he also said the port sould be 4" diameter and 18.125" long. Every single one of these figures are different and I'm lost.

sedate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2008 at 10:12 PM / IP Logged  

Um.

Okay - I'm going to save the technical explanation and just tell you - if you have specific questions post back -

tubbs04 wrote:
to build an enclosure 2.25 cuft tuned to 40 hz. Well I emailed the company to ask if they had tested the sub in other enclosures and how well they did. They told me the sub performed it's best in a vented enclosure 2.39 cuft tuned to 28hz.

These are basically the same enclosure - the 40hz tune will produce a more peaky response, and I HIGHLY recommend you go with the 28hz tune - but the box size itself will not make much acoustical impact here - the tune of the port is what is critical here - the speaker box size less so - but keep it above 2cft.

tubbs04 wrote:
2.3927cuft @ 28 hz. he also said the port sould be 4" diameter and 18.125" long.

This is a long port - go with about 13 - 15" and you'll remain within a few hz of the target tune - maybe 33hz or so.  I've been playing with boxes this size all day in WinISD for another project I'm working on ...  otherwise the box recommendation looks right on to me.

tubbs04 wrote:
What I'm confused about is the manual says the frequency response is from 40hz-200hz, so why would they recomend me to tune it to 28hz? Isn't that out of the speakers range

Uhh - no.  The tune is designed to make the response curve as flat as possible - as such this low tune impacts the response curve, not that particular frequency - what that tune does is lower the remainder of the curve to a flatter response.  This is good.

tubbs04 wrote:
Every single one of these figures are different and I'm lost.

Well - these maybe different numbers - but the acoustical result, as I've said, will be largely the same.  Just keep the tune below 35hz, okay!

mazzasec 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2008 at 10:56 PM / IP Logged  
Depending on your goal output or quality thats how I would adjust the tuning if your going for SPL over SQ and dont care at all about your SQ tune it to 40hz and it will get pretty peaky
sedate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2008 at 12:25 AM / IP Logged  

mazzasec wrote:
Depending on your goal output or quality thats how I would adjust the tuning if your going for SPL over SQ and dont care at all about your SQ tune it to 40hz and it will get pretty peaky

I disagree.

This sort of tune will produce a box that will be very quiet through the majority of the bandpass - only electronica or 35 - 45hz from bass CD's would play - shure teeth rattlingly loud but boxes with a tune this high are for competition where they play a frequency burst - not music - not a 40hz port - this is just too high - no matter what the goals.

tubbs04 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2008 at 11:35 AM / IP Logged  
thanks for the info sedate... I'll build it to those specs and pray hahaha... Will I be able to build much pressure with that box tuned to 28hz? I'm not really worried about it, it's a daily driver, but just a question I had. It's going in a '97 4 door tahoe with 2000rms. like I said, not really worried about it, just curious. Thanks
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic