icon

light flash add on

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sliptap 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2008 at 9:43 AM / IP Logged  

I just purchased an Omega REC 43T keyless entry system for my 1995 Grand Prix Coupe. It's cheap, but it works.

It didn't come with a light flash feature, but I want to put one in myself.  I believe the door locks are possitive (i had to buy a relay/convertor? to change the polarity). If it is possitive, couldn't I just hook a wire from my door lock to my parking light switch wire?

I don't want to do anything that will screw up my keyless entry.

rhd180 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2008 at 12:01 PM / IP Logged  
as long as they are both the same polarity then yes. but it would not really help anything because the only time the lights would flash is when you lock your doors. not any other time
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2008 at 12:13 PM / IP Logged  

do NOT connect the lock wire with your parkinlights. your probably going to burn the output of the unit. connect it to a relay.

heres how to do it properly. using a relay, connect it up like so

85 - constant 12v

86 - lock ouput from unit (-) **since your car has negative lock/unlock triggers**
87 - high current 12v fused @ 5 or 10 amps
30 - to parking light wire on car.  which is BROWN (+) @ light switch

davesparkave 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2008 at 12:48 PM / IP Logged  
If you have daytime running lights or twilight sentenial be careful you should hook up the parking light wire from the alarm module to the brown wire coming from your cars lamp control module or you can screw up the lamp control module therefore screwing up all of your cars lighting system
sliptap 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2008 at 7:03 PM / IP Logged  
tedmond wrote:

do NOT connect the lock wire with your parkinlights. your probably going to burn the output of the unit. connect it to a relay.

heres how to do it properly. using a relay, connect it up like so

85 - constant 12v

86 - lock ouput from unit (-) **since your car has negative lock/unlock triggers**
30 - to parking light wire on car. which is BROWN (+) @ light switch

Ok, thank you for the responses. I don't really understand the difference between 85 and 86... Let's say I have a wire running to my battery, fused at 15amps, couldn't i just run 85 and 86 to the same wire?
Also, where is the cheapest place that sells relays? Thank you!
audioman2007 
Copper - Posts: 580
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2008 at 9:12 PM / IP Logged  
You mean pin 85 and 87? Please explane Tedmond what the difference is between  a constant 12V source and a high current source?
sliptap 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2008 at 7:39 AM / IP Logged  

ok, lets say I use a 12 gauge fused for my constant and an 8 gauge fused (for my sub amp) for the high current, would that be ok?  What I was saying is why can't i just use my 12 gauge wire for both?  Or, is the current sent through that line going to be greater than the 15 amp fuse that will be there?

Also, Pin 86 is for my lock/unlock wire, right?  You said my locks were negative. However, I have a reverse polaraity adaptor installed on my keyless entry, so would that come into play?

I'm assuming that PIN86 should be connected to the lock/unlock wire on my keyless entry, not where my keyless entry meets my lock/unlock wire.

Finally, why can't i hook both my lock/unlock wire up to PIN86? 

Thanks guys!

sliptap 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2008 at 9:22 AM / IP Logged  
sliptap wrote:

ok, lets say I use a 12 gauge fused for my constant and an 8 gauge fused (for my sub amp) for the high current, would that be ok? What I was saying is why can't i just use my 12 gauge wire for both? Or, is the current sent through that line going to be greater than the 15 amp fuse that will be there?

Also, Pin 86 is for my lock/unlock wire, right? You said my locks were negative. However, I have a reverse polaraity adaptor installed on my keyless entry, so would that come into play?

I'm assuming that PIN86 should be connected to the lock/unlock wire on my keyless entry, not where my keyless entry meets my lock/unlock wire.

Finally, why can't i hook both my lock/unlock wire up to PIN86?

Thanks guys!

Ok, I figured out about the 12V constant stuff, no worries there, I'll use my 8 gauge , 60 amp fused wire.
However, can I hook both my lock and my unlock output wires from my keyless entry to PIN 86? And does it matter that I have an adaptor that makes the lock/unlock output possitive?
Finally, all of the relays I see are 5 pinned...I believe PIN87A is the middle pin? Can I use those 5 pin relays, and just ignore that middle pin?
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2008 at 2:11 PM / IP Logged  

well the high current is no differant than a constant 12v. its just when i mention high current, just make sure the wire can allow up to the current the load will draw. example, if you used 18gauge for a constant 12v and also used that to power a 60amp load, that wire it going to MELT. so you would use a 12 gauge you should be good.

after you mentioned that your addon unit gives you reverse polarity, (not sure why, my wiring charts says u have negative) anyways. rewire the relay like so.

85 - ground

86 - lock ouput from unit (+) **you addon unit gives (+) outputs for reverse polarity**
30 - to parking light wire on car. which is BROWN (+) @ light switch

if you choose a 5 pinned relay vs a 4 pin, there is no differance for your application. just ignore the middle pin 87a. make sure you cover and tape it up good.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic