eaks 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2008 at 12:00 AM / IP Logged  
Hey guys I'm in need of help!
My setup:
- alpine ida-x001 headunit
- alpine mrd-m1005 amp
- alpine type x sub (10" with alpine box)
My problem:
I just put this system back in my car for spring! I hook everything up and it sounds ok but not much bass at all! I change the gain on the amp to 50% and try again sounds a bit louder but then I turn up the volume and the the sub just stops all together check my amp and it is flashing "cur" so I restart my deck and the bass comes on for a second then stops again (same error on amp) so I restart the deck again and turn the volume on and I can hear the sub a bit turn it up and I can def hear it (but its not to loud) turn up my sub volume and it cuts out again!
So I call alpine and said I checked everything I could think of and he notifies me that the error is becuse the output impedance is too low (short)! So I go out side and measure the resistance off the sub 1.7 ohm (which is right dual voice coils (4 ohm each) wired in parellel to give me 2 ohm! So I have no idea where the problem is!
What do you guys think?
eaks 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2008 at 12:08 AM / IP Logged  
And I also did try with my gain turned down (4v)!
Pretty much right now I can't even tell if the sub is working becuse if it is then its so low that the bass from my 6x9s and 6.5s are just as loud(even with the bass knob oh their amp(mtx 200 watt rms) and the bass turned all the way down at the deck)!!
So please help me out!
audioman2007 
Copper - Posts: 580
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2008 at 2:54 PM / IP Logged  
Is your amp a mono block? Also, do you have the amp running at a impedence it can handle? It just sounds like something isnt connected correctly. Obviously your power, ground, and remote turn on wires are correct. But I would double check how you have the sub wired to the amp. Check to see if there is any place where the positive and negative speaker wires are touching eachother. This will cause a spike. If you take your speaker ends and touch them together, they will cause your amp to shut off. But this will only start doing that when the headunit gets to a certain volume. Also check to make sure you have the amp running at 2 ohm. If you have it wired wrong, you could be running it lower than it can handle, thus causing your amp to go into "protect" mode. Once again, the amp will only do that once the volume is at a certain point.
eaks 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2008 at 6:22 PM / IP Logged  
My amp is wired fine as well as my sub! I didn't change anything in my system since last year and it worked fine! Amp is made to run 700watt rms @2 ohm at 12v or 1000watt rms @2 ohm at 14.4v so it should be fine! I did check for continuity through the wires and they weren't touching!
Anyone?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 21, 2008 at 8:08 PM / IP Logged  
Hey Audioman, you gotta love it.
furflier 
Copper - Posts: 236
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2008 at 8:08 PM / IP Logged  

It is possible that the tennsil leads on the sub could be hitting the basket when the bass hits.

audioman2007 
Copper - Posts: 580
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2008 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  
gotta love what? Anyways, is there a way you can use another amp to test everything? If you pull out that amp and put another in its place just to start narrowing the possibilities down. If the problem continues, you then know your amp is fine. Then its either the wiring, headunit, or subs. Then from their, test something else. It could be your RCA's and maybe even your headunit. I would just start testing each part of your system and narrowing it down.
eaks 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2008 at 11:06 PM / IP Logged  
furflier wrote:

It is possible that the tennsil leads on the sub could be hitting the basket when the bass hits.

What basket? i dont really understand what your saying..
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 21, 2008 at 11:17 PM / IP Logged  
tensil lead = the wires that go from the terminals to the cone of the speaker.  Basket = the metal frame of the speaker.
mazzasec 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2008 at 11:55 PM / IP Logged  
or just try a diffrent sub borrow your friends for like 2 seconds and see if the amp goes to that mode with his sub as well then you know its the amp not the sub
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic