icon

Audiovox alarm range... hood locks ?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shawoo 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2003 at 3:17 AM / IP Logged  

Just got a Audiovox Prestige 995C alarm installed....has the pager and all that stuff.  I would like to know if possibly the range from the pager to the car is shorter then the car to the pager?  Once in a while I check the temp of my car on my lcd remote, and If the car is somewhat far away I have to try like 4 times in all different location in my room to get a single back from the car.  Just wondering if the car pumps out a further signal or something.

Also, I NEED a hooklock so bad...too easy to rip out the siren in my civic.  Anyone know where I can get a hoodlock for a 94 civic?  Ive been to AutoZone and they dotn have any.  Ive seen a lock on ebay that  is made by DEI...not sure if it would work in my car  http:///.com/dll?ViewItem&item=3009965439&category=14934

Any help would be great.

Thanks!

shawoo 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2003 at 3:19 AM / IP Logged  
Also, does anyone have any experiance with installing a trunck switch in a hatchback?  The window folds up one way, and the tailgate folds down...its kind of a tricky location...any ideas?
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 01, 2003 at 7:40 AM / IP Logged  
I have the similar APS-996 in my car. Once, I tried to remote start the car but got no response from the remote...but then I went outside and the car was running. So I guess maybe you're right---the remote has slightly better range for transmitting than for receiving.
It would probably be less labor to relocate the siren to a better spot, than to install a hoodlock...what year Civic is it? A few weeks ago, a friend of mine and I did a stealth install on a '99, and he spent a good hour on the siren. He removed the battery and air intake, and unbolted the underhood fuse box. We ran the siren wire through the factory grommet by the battery, and then covered it and tied it securely to the factory harnesses under the hood. The siren was mounted not too far from the right-front headlight....completely invisible when the car was put back together. A thief would need to remove the air intake to get to it, even if he knew where it was.
Also, factory car horns are often difficult to access...did your installer hook up horn honk? If not, go ask him to.
Again, you didn't mention what year your Civic is, but it may already have hatch switch(es) installed. Does the domelight turn on when the trunk is open? Is there a "trunk-ajar" indicator on the dash? If so, there's probably already a switch; a good installer would tie into it without the customer asking for it.
floaterr 
Silver - Posts: 383
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2003 at 8:32 AM / IP Logged  
you can get a battery backup at bulldog security.com for about $13. They last about 10+ minutes and require a key to turn it off.
Hook it up so that the pos or neg is easy to get to and hide and tie wrap the siren wire. This way when the theif goes under the hood he probably would grab or cut the exposed wire causing the siren to go into battery mode and require a key to shut off.
shawoo 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2003 at 11:05 AM / IP Logged  

its a 94 civic.  No trunk light or anything, ive checked!    :(

Im thinking of just installing the glass break sensor since thats the only real way they would be alble to get in through the hatch. 

As far as back up batteries and stuff, I still think id rather have a hood lock, I dont wany anyone under the hood when they are busting into my car.

Thanks for the ideas!  Anyone else have one of these audiovox alarms?  I love mine...checking the temperature all the time and what not!

Haku 
Copper - Posts: 204
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2003 at 11:37 AM / IP Logged  
Generally, you get better range from the car to the remote then viseversa.  I would check your antenna wire, and make sure its not near any interference.  Try to cross electrical wires, avoid running the antenna wire parrallell to any electrical wires.  Bunch up any extra wire in the door pillar, or roof liner.  Do not bundle them under the dash, or near any electrical.  I doubled my range on my wifes car by moving the bundle of antenaa wire to the door pillar, instead of under the dash.
Hak
Siemens Autostart
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 01, 2003 at 4:41 PM / IP Logged  
Haku, in the case of the Audiovox long-range units, the routing of the antenna cable should not matter much, as the receiver is built into the antenna.
The Audiovox antenna has three wires going to it: positive (red), ground (black), and green (data). All the receiving is done at the antenna itself, and the antenna sends data to tell the alarm what it has received...I'd imagine the dataline is all or nothing, and moving the cable wouldn't change anything.
shawoo, that's too bad that there's no trunk light. And is there also no "trunk ajar" indicator on the dash? The tech info I have lists trunk trigger as GREEN/ black with two silver dots, at a blue connector above the fusebox....but this wire might only be present in sedans and coupes....although it could never hurt to look for it.
Also, the tailgate and hatch glass can only be opened in a certain order, correct? In that case, you only have to install a pinswitch on the door that opens first.
shawoo 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2003 at 10:06 PM / IP Logged  

Question...  I had a Audiovox 995C Installed in my car (94 civic CX).  I am programming it now and have a questions about 2 programable features.

1) "Headlights" is what one of the features listed, "on Disarm", "On Arm", "On Both, or "Off" are my options...im assuming this means the acutal headlights will flash, and not just the parking lights? Is this correct?  I have programmed it, however the headlights wont flash...is it possible Circuit city just didint install the brain to the lights (or something along those lines)?  Is this common?

2)  I have the option of having my horn go off when the siren goes off, and i prgrammed this feature too...but no horn..just silence (if I make the alarm go into "Horn only mode".  I have an existing honda factory alarm in the car that the CC installers bypassed...this factory alarm used the horn...could this be why the horn isint working when i program it to?

I just want to make sure these circuit city guys didnt slack off on me, and help would be great.  I know im programming it correctly, just seems like they didint hardwire it up or something.

Thanks!

circus boy 
Copper - Posts: 49
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2003 at 12:13 AM / IP Logged  
sounds like the guys at circuit city din't hook the horn and headlight wire,i would take it back to them and tell the that you want it hooked up.
if you didn't tell them when you brought the car,they probally didn't hook it up,now they may wantto charge you to hook up theses 2 extra wires
let us know how it turns out
shawoo 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2003 at 10:40 AM / IP Logged  

Okay, just called them.

THey said that if It is an additional charge (now or if i told them during install) of $35 because they use additional parts (relays) to get those features to works. "Just because its an option doesnt mean its included in the basic install".

Can anyone tell me if this is common practice, or if they are giving me the shaft...just want to know if this is worth making a big deal.  I mean, if typically this is part of a standard install, then i have no problem going over there and talking to the manager.

Thanks!

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic