the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

directed d1200 amp? hate it or love it?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rrcustom 
Copper - Posts: 87
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2008 at 6:32 PM / IP Logged  
Need to make some decisions on an amp to push my sub.
I have a Kicker VS12L5 (12" sub & enclosure).
The specs are 600W RMS, 1200W MAX.
4 ohm at the port, so it has dual 2 ohms voice coils.
I can rewire it to run 4 ohm or 1 ohm at the port.
Three options, need some car audio opinions on this:
Option 1 - Directed D1200 Amp - 600w x 1 RMS @ 1 ohm.
-or-
Option 2 - Rockford Fosgate T600-2 Amp bridged @ 600w x 1 RMS @ 4 ohms.
-or-
Option 3 - Your decide.
So my question is, is the directed amp better than the rockford fosgate amp. It has been sometime since I have done car audio so I really cannot remember. My gut tells me Rockford Fosgate is the better amp to choose.
All opinions are welcome. Thank you for your help and advice!
tubbs04 
Copper - Posts: 212
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2008 at 8:36 PM / IP Logged  

I'd personally be more inclined to go the directed way. Rockfords not bad stuff but I've dealt with both.

...don't crush the weasel...
noobgalore 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2008 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  
I would go with the RF if you were talking about the Punch version the P600 I might choose the directed but the Power series are great amps.
n2audio 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2008 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged  

bought my nephew an old used DEI 600D off ebay to replace a 2 ch TMA.

It's been great.  Small, efficient, and really punishing a couple 12w3's.

I know it's not a d1200, but I would assume it's at least similar.

rrcustom 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2008 at 12:15 AM / IP Logged  
tubbs04 wrote:

I'd personally be more inclined to go the directed way. Rockfords not bad stuff but I've dealt with both.

I have never had a Directed amp before.
I have had Legacy, Lanzar, Infinity, Rockford Fosgate, Pioneer, and some others.
I just don't want it to be cheap like the Legacy or Lanzar amps were...I know the Rockford and the Pioneer were really good.
Do you think the Directed is BETTER quality wise than the Rockford Fosgate one?
Thanks for all the input!
rrcustom 
Posted: February 23, 2008 at 12:18 AM / IP Logged  
noobgalore wrote:
I would go with the RF if you were talking about the Punch version the P600 I might choose the directed but the Power series are great amps.
From what I barely remember...it's better to have a mono class d amp than a two channel...just wanted to see if anyone wanted to rave about how great that particular rockford fosgate amp was...or vise versa how the directed amp was one of the best...
Another thing just came to mind...you get what you pay for...and the rockford amps are much more expensive than the directed amps...
Anyone have a take on this?
rrcustom 
Posted: February 23, 2008 at 12:21 AM / IP Logged  
n2audio wrote:

bought my nephew an old used DEI 600D off ebay to replace a 2 ch TMA.

It's been great. Small, efficient, and really punishing a couple 12w3's.

I know it's not a d1200, but I would assume it's at least similar.

Glad to hear positive feedback about DEI. Thanks for your input. It is greatly appreciated.
rrcustom 
Posted: February 23, 2008 at 12:22 AM / IP Logged  
noobgalore wrote:
I would go with the RF if you were talking about the Punch version the P600 I might choose the directed but the Power series are great amps.
From what I barely remember...it's better to have a mono class d amp than a two channel...just wanted to see if anyone wanted to rave about how great that particular rockford fosgate amp was...or vise versa how the directed amp was one of the best...
Another thing just came to mind...you get what you pay for...and the rockford amps are much more expensive than the directed amps...
...but then again the amp was rated at 1 ohm...and for that to be it has to be a in the upper part of its class...
Anyone have a take on this?
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2008 at 1:58 AM / IP Logged  
Generally, not a fantastic product, I suppose they're OK for the $$$ laid out for 'em... I'd never buy one though.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
rrcustom 
Posted: February 23, 2008 at 3:32 AM / IP Logged  
Suggestions? I need an amp to push 600 watts RMS x 1 channel @ 2 ohms...
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic