icon

mtx ta92001 hissing/buzzing sound

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dragginmazda86 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2008 at 4:20 PM / IP Logged  
 I installed a MTX TA92001 amp ran 0 gauge power and ground. I grounded dirrectly to frame. The amp makes a hissing noise with just the power,ground and remote wire connected. When you connect the rca's and speaker wires it does the same. I exchanged it for a new through warranty and the second amp makes the exact same noise. I'm not new to car audio been doing it for years but I have never came across this problem. I've asked a few people that have been in the industry longer than I and they are clueless as I am. Posting in this forum seems to be my last resort. Please if anyone has came across this problem or remedied it let me know. Thanks in advance.
rrcustom 
Copper - Posts: 87
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2008 at 6:27 PM / IP Logged  
dragginmazda86 wrote:
I installed a MTX TA92001 amp ran 0 gauge power and ground. I grounded dirrectly to frame. The amp makes a hissing noise with just the power,ground and remote wire connected. When you connect the rca's and speaker wires it does the same. I exchanged it for a new through warranty and the second amp makes the exact same noise. I'm not new to car audio been doing it for years but I have never came across this problem. I've asked a few people that have been in the industry longer than I and they are clueless as I am. Posting in this forum seems to be my last resort. Please if anyone has came across this problem or remedied it let me know. Thanks in advance.
Common problem for DIY people...
Ran into the issue a couple times with a couple of different installs. Ended up being a BAD ground it was picking up too much noise.
I ended up dragging the amp out of the its location and grounding it to a different ground outside of the car and thats how I found out that it was the ground...ended up sanding down the paint off of the ACTUAL frame of the car and then bolting it to it.
My suggestion would be to make sure your ground is following specifications. Also get a bigger gauge and/or equal to your power wire for the ground cable.
What is a proper ground
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 23, 2008 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  
Could it be the fans you are hearing?
dragginmazda86 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2008 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the insight. My power and ground are the same gauge. 0 gauge. I ued my grinder anr ground about a 3 inch by 3 inch area on the ACTUAL frame in the rear of the vehicle. My ground wire is about 22 inches long. I soldered on a ring terminal and used a 3/8 bolt and lock nut to secure it. I also did the same frame prep up near the battery and used the same wire to ground the battery directly to the frame.
dragginmazda86 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2008 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  

i am an idiot wrote:
Could it be the fans you are hearing?

I dont believe so. I have a matching thunder series 4 chgannel amp that has the built in fans, and both amps/fans sound alike. I bought them both new from the same retailer and they warrantied/exchanged the big amp and the second one makes the same sound.

dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2008 at 10:28 PM / IP Logged  
Is this coming from the amp itself or the speaker?
I ask because my Mtx amp makes similar noises, always has. Sort of a hissing noise, particularly when volume is down.
I find it annoying, but it's mounted in a location that I can't hear unless I am in the trunk with my ear to it.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2008 at 9:40 AM / IP Logged  
Some power supplies can adjust their switching frequency, based on the load being expected of the outputs. I have heard quite a few amplifiers that have made "hissing" noises even with nothing connected.
MTX is a reasonable quality brand, and if you are getting an identical issue with a second, same-model-amplifier, I wouldn't worry about it. I expect (personally) that it is a characteristic of the amplifier's power supply.
Run it till it dies, and if it never does, then you know that was the case!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
dragginmazda86 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2008 at 1:55 PM / IP Logged  

dwarren wrote:
Is this coming from the amp itself or the speaker?
I ask because my Mtx amp makes similar noises, always has. Sort of a hissing noise, particularly when volume is down.
I find it annoying, but it's mounted in a location that I can't hear unless I am in the trunk with my ear to it.

It is coming from the actual amp with no rca's or speaker wires connected to it. If it was in a trunk it would'nt be that annoying but its mount in the rear cargo area of a SUV and you can clearly hear if from the drivers seat.

dragginmazda86 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2008 at 2:00 PM / IP Logged  
 I just noticed something, when the key is in the accessory position with the stereo and amps on it does'nt hiss, but once you start the engine the amp starts hissing. Again I have no rca's or speakers attached and the amp is not bolted down to the actaul car its bolted to a piece of MDF.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 24, 2008 at 6:01 PM / IP Logged  

Fuel pump?   Try moving the power wires away from any factory wiring harness.  Maybe move the amp to another location.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic