do i really need a crossover?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
thumpinbass 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2008 at 6:26 AM / IP Logged  

Hey guys,

In my system, i'll be running a CarPC, and my original intent was to purchase the Kicker KX3 and then out to my Kicker ZX1500.1 (subs) and Kicker ZX350.4 (mids and highs)

But the 1500 has aactive crossover and subsonic filter on it and the 350 has its own high and low pass filters.

Should i still get the crossover or is this something that I really don't need and just use a 'y' splitter for the RCA to each amp?

Allen

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 25, 2008 at 6:58 AM / IP Logged  

The only thing the crossover can offer you is, if mounted in the front of the vehicle you can make adjustments easily.  But once you set it you usually leave it alone.  So other than that you really do not need it.

n2audio 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2008 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged  

Agreed - stand alone x/o's are a thing of the past unless you're an SQ geek (read: a geek) that likes to tweek things 10 times for every song, or you're running some old school or high end amps w/o decent x/o's on board.

Then there are those that just think it's cool to have buttons, dials and lights all over their dash board that don't do much of anything.

thumpinbass 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2008 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks guys for the advice.  I was only going to get it if I really need it.   I love having a lot of dials and switches etc to make it look like I know what I am doing, but if I can save money by not getting one, because of not needing it, then I won't get it.

Back when I wa heavy in the stereo scene, it was one of those things that you needed.  I remember having a PPI crossover.   That was 10 years ago.  Really haven't had a big stereo in a while, but that will change very directly.

i have the time and money to do everything I want to now, so thanks for the advice!

Allen

rushman2112 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2008 at 9:47 PM / IP Logged  
Remember every time you add an electronic devise to your system , you run the risk of picking up noise , even if just a little. If the x-over isnt needed for sound , I would omit it from the system , unless you just want the bling bling.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic