icon

wiring 2 sirens parallel?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
audioman2007 
Copper - Posts: 580
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2008 at 2:09 PM / IP Logged  
Tedmond, you said face the siren to the floor. So you mean point is downwards, which is how I have it now. Anyways, Yea I wouldnt want the piezo going off all the time. And I do know a way I can hook the peizo up. My alarm (the Asianwolf) does have an output for a horn. I can simply splice off that wire and run to the piezo. The ONLY time the horn is triggered, is when my alarm is triggered. It doesnt sound when I arm, disarm, remote start, or warn away chirps sound. So this would work then right?
manahawkinrob 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2008 at 2:22 PM / IP Logged  
Along this same topic, I have a question for the professional installers.  When you install an alarm do you install a siren, or just hook up horn honk, or both?  Is it a choice you give the customer or a decision you make on your own?  What do you recommend?  I just did my car with a scytek 5000 and I installed the just the siren st first.  I didn't think the siren alone was loud enough, and thanks to assistance on this forum hooked up horn honk as well.  Just wondering what the industry standard is.
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2008 at 2:39 PM / IP Logged  

audioman, well you can wire it up and see how it goes, but from what i know that unit doesnt offer programmable outputs on the siren or horn when a certain zone is triggeRED / activated.

manahawkinrob, this is really all depended on the customer. if they ask for it ill wire it in and charge him 10 bucsk for the relay.  other than that i use the siren.

manahawkinrob 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2008 at 2:59 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks Tedmond.  For 10 bucks more, that is a bargain!!  I would gladly pay an installer an extra 10 bucks for that feature.  When I went to wire mine up I went to the local car parts place and they wanted 23 bucks for a relay and a harness.  Got it for 1.99 plus 4.00 shipping on ebay and had to wait 2 days.
audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2008 at 3:02 PM / IP Logged  

Tedmond, I know my alarm doesnt have it programable, but my horn only sounds when the full alarm is triggered. So if I was to tie the peizo into the horn wire, then when the alarm is triggered, the siren, peizo, and horn will sound. When I arm, disarm, or remote start the car, only my under hood siren will sound.

manahawkinrob, yea my siren isnt that loud when I am and disarm the car. But when the alarm is triggered, the siren isnt too bad. But I hooked up the horn wire because everyone knows how loud a horn is.

tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2008 at 9:15 PM / IP Logged  
manahawkinrob, 10 bucks is sure a steal. but hey, no point of charging much since it cost me 3 bucks for a relay and 1.00 for the harness. then wiring it/tapping and soldering it to the horn wire is at the collum anyways. so this is no biggie.
audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 29, 2008 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  
Is there a way to test the piezo siren before actually installing it? Could I simply run the power and ground wires to the battery's postive and negative?
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 29, 2008 at 9:42 PM / IP Logged  
The horn wire you are tapping into in the ignition harness is low current. It triggers a factory relay usually located in the underhood fuse box. You do not need to add a relay to the horn output of the alarm. You are wasting time and money by wiring in a relay.
Back when I installed for a living I hooked up the horn for no charge.
You also wouldn't want to trigger the piezo siren with the horn output. Most alarm "horn" outputs are going to be pulsed. You need a "constant" output to trigger the piezo or else you will only get a bunch of quick "chirps" out of the piezo which won't do much to deter a thief. If the horn output can be programmed to a constant output, then having the horn output trigger a relay that powers the piezo is the way to go.
audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2008 at 10:52 AM / IP Logged  
Ok, I understand what you said. Um then how do you install these sirens? If you were to tie it with the siren under the hood, then everytime you arm, disarm, and remote start the vehicle, the piezo will sound as well. I dont want that. I only want that to sound when the alarm is actually triggered.
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2008 at 2:24 PM / IP Logged  
audioman2007 wrote:
Ok, I understand what you said. Um then how do you install these sirens? If you were to tie it with the siren under the hood, then everytime you arm, disarm, and remote start the vehicle, the piezo will sound as well. I dont want that. I only want that to sound when the alarm is actually triggered.
Depends on the system I am using.
With a DEI unit, program horn output to constant. Have it trigger a relay that powers the piezo.
With a Compustar, have the siren output trigger a relay that powers the piezos. I don't care if the piezo makes a chirping sound every time I arm/disarm. I'm outside the car when doing those functions. It won't be hurting my ears.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic