icon

wiring a sub

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mtdewcowboy 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2008 at 2:04 AM / IP Logged  

I want to know what is the best way to do this.

I have a Sony XM-1652Z amp 2 channel & a Kicker comp CVR 10" DVC 4 ohms in a sealed box filled 50 % with poly fill.

The amp is rated @ 165W x 2 @ 4ohms RMS & 380W x 2 @ 4 ohms Max  200W x 2 @ 2 ohms RMS and 400W x 1 @ 4 ohms Bridged RMS or 1000W x 1 @ 4ohms Bridged Max. Sub is rated 400W RMS & 800W Max. Right now I have it wired is series & Bridged mono so it is @ 8 ohms.

Now should I only run one VC to the amp Bridged & leave the other one open or shorted, Or run each VC to each channel, Or is how I have it now the best? I want good sound & it sounds pretty good now but can it be better. By the way have a active 3 way crossover running @ 50 with + 6 db

spookiestylez 
Silver - Posts: 531
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2008 at 4:44 AM / IP Logged  
id wire the sub in parallel to get a 2ohm load and set the gains and settings on the amp accordingly.There are a few sticky threads to read about properly adjusting amps, good read even if you think ya know, GL
sS
rtfm
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,673
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 02, 2008 at 5:04 AM / IP Logged  
None of the specs you listed lead me to believe that your amp will handle a 2 Ohm mono load Do not try running it 2 Ohm mono. Your amp is now doing the best it can do with that woofer. 8 Ohm mono will do the same exact amount of power as it would if you had it wired 4 Ohm stereo. DO NOT parallel the coils and run it 2 Ohm bridged. If you decide to get a second woofer buy another identical woofer and then parallel the coils on each soofer and connect 1 woofer to each channel. Then your amp will see a 2 Ohm load on each channel, which it will handle.
mtdewcowboy 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2008 at 10:44 AM / IP Logged  
Yep amp is only 4 ohm stable in bridge mode & a second woofer not a option due to space as I had to raise my rear seat 2 " to fit the box in my truck. By the way it is a 1999 Ford F-150 extended cab. My old box was a Kicker Comp box with a sony 1300W 12" sub But I had to remove half the seat to fit it & I have a kid so need the whole seat. Now what Volts do I use to set the gain as it is running 8 ohms & all I can find is 4 ohms and less on charts
i am an idiot 
Posted: March 02, 2008 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  
Wow, they have charts to tell you how to set gains.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 02, 2008 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  

Ditto to i am an idiot's responses, and if you feel you need more than what you are getting, you should either replace the amp with a mono unit or replace the sub with a SVC 4 ohm.  As it is, you have it correct.

search results for setting gains

If you're using voltage output with test tones, pay attention to Ohm's Law.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
i am an idiot 
Posted: March 03, 2008 at 1:45 AM / IP Logged  
Hey Steve, I read the first 5 pages of your search results (50 links)  then I searched bcae1.com top to bottom.  Still no chart.  I am thinking about making a flow chart.  Can you feel something when a low bass note is played?  If no turn gain up.  If yes, have you been melting the solder out of your AGU fuses?  If no, turn the gain up a LOT.  If yes, drill holes in the poorly engineered fuse holder so the heat can escape. Now turn the gain up.  Still melting fuses?  ....    And somewhere in the mix will be the question, When your woofer quits playing and you remove it from the enclosure, Is there an odor coming from the speaker?  If yes get new woofers and turn gain down, but only a little (if you turn it down a lot, you will miss out on some power). 
mtdewcowboy 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2008 at 5:27 PM / IP Logged  

http://www.datafilehost.com/download.php?file=6d26c621

Here you can down load a spreadsheet to adjust gains also it has wire sizes & current draws

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic