icon

are you a dishonest installer/owner?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
godd dan it 
Copper - Posts: 446
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2008 at 12:13 AM / IP Logged  

Ive ran into a few situations before and just wanted to see if others ran into something similar as well.

Situation 1- A customer comes in and wants to get an alarm installed. I start working on the car and discover that it has a remote start. So I asked my boss what to do and he said just to remove it, keep it if I want, and just install the alarm.

Situation 2- A customer comes in and wants to get an alarm. I get in the car and realize it has an alarm already. lol Its just in valet mode. I take it out of valet mode...tested the alarm and it works fine. I told my boss and he said just to look at what model/brand alarm it is and to throw an owners manual in the car.

Both situations have actually happened quite a few times in the past 3-4 months. Now if I was in charge for "situation 2".....id probably just tell the customer they have an alarm already and im only going to charge them for checking out the connections, owners manual.....etc. Definately not full price. I know we all need some kind of income to come in, but im sure we could all be honest if this kind of situation happens. Thats just me though.....I try to be honest most of the time, but sometimes we arent.

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2008 at 8:37 AM / IP Logged  
I would tell the customer, either way. I almost lost my job once, when a situation IDENTICAL to number one happened to me. (my at-that-time boss wasn't exactly aways on the up-and-up)
I figure if I'm the good guy, it just looks better for me, and I also am quite a firm believer in karma.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 04, 2008 at 9:43 AM / IP Logged  
I had a similar situation happen to me, but with a CD Changer.  A customer just bought a used VW Jetta and brought it in for an RF changer.  After we checked it in I was looking in the trunk and behind a little panel sits the stock changer.  I told the customer, they were happy, and they left.
Kevin Pierson
zerepdivad 
Silver - Posts: 605
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2008 at 2:01 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah a guy me and my buddy worked for last year for a while was always ripping doodie off from the customers. like when we were swapping out subs/amps he'd just tell us to keep the old ones and put them under the work bench, and countless things like that. he paid us good therefore we did it otherwise we didn't agree with it at all. now i'm at best buy so obviously i don't do that and the managers are actually honest.
A DMM is a beautiful thing.
MECP Advanced Installer Certified.
techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2008 at 3:44 PM / IP Logged  
I would say my boss likes to overcharge people and he does a crap twist and tape job on all he does. I solder when he lets me even though I used to run my own business a few years ago, he is my boss and what he says goes. I had never ripped anyone off even when I had the chance to. I guess I was raised with some morals and honesty. I pity the people who do wrong because it will come back to haunt them some day in the future.
The wire I'm test'n isn't doin' what it's supposed to be doin'... I am so glad I printed that tech sheet, with the wrong info.
Do it right the first time... or I might have to fix it for ya
hottwhyrd 
Copper - Posts: 56
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2008 at 10:13 AM / IP Logged  

i cant tell you how many customers think i want to keep their equipment!  one guy last week walked in my bay and said "i want my radio back" to which i replied "good. my trash can is getting full" 

i once had my old boss "replace a factory radio" when in actuality he only stole a volume knob off another factory radio and stuck it on the old one! 

tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2008 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  
Look in the mirror. Deside whether you are like or unlike your boss.
There is no such thing as free installation!
luckytii7 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2008 at 11:53 PM / IP Logged  
I just quit and walked out of my job last week as a mechanic because he sold a $2400 engine rebuild when he knew it was just a intake gasket. the kicker was that i recognized the car because it was my aunts car. after i quit and took my tools i did the intake gasket for cost of parts and she wrote a letter to the BBB. I HATE BAD BUSINESS PEOPLE
The greatest revenge is living well and showing it
absolutepower 
Copper - Posts: 98
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2008 at 6:36 PM / IP Logged  
i aint even gunna lie it all depends on if the customer is chill. ive ran into some donut hole annoying people in my career and dont get me wrong im paitent but some people wiz me off. if they are chill id go the honest route. if they are donut holes id come up. gotta make money some how.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic