icon

w7 problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
s_goodie 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2008 at 7:34 PM / IP Logged  
soo ive got a 13.5 w7 and ive used it with 3 amps a clifornia profile 200 watts, a jbc 1500 watts. and a rockfordfosgate 200 watt amp, and it dont seem to hit or sound good with any of those amps  is there any thing that could be loving up i have 2 batterys and everything
Stuey BABE
s_goodie 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2008 at 7:35 PM / IP Logged  
2000 watts*
Stuey BABE
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 06, 2008 at 8:00 PM / IP Logged  
What enclosure is it in???
srh23 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2008 at 8:00 PM / IP Logged  
w7's run at 1.5 ohms and i'm pretty sure those amps dont support that. your best bet would be to go with a jl amp.
djfearny2 
Silver - Posts: 810
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2008 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged  
forget a jl amp they are only good for the 10 w7 and and lower. they are not good for the 13 or 12 w7
look into the hifonics brutus 2000 watt amp.
This information is comming from someone who is running three 13w7's 2 in my magnum with a hifonics 2600 watt amp and 1 in my durango with a 2000 watt hifonics brutus. and the hifonics is the only amp that has been able to pound the sub at recommended power range. they are someone costly but 40-50 percent less than the jl 1000.1 retail to retail.
just as the jl tho, they love power the more power given to them the better the performance. and two as stated above what type of enclosure are you using because they of course can work in sealed boxes but work so much better in ported boxes; ..
Jon
Installer/Help Technician
---coral springs florida---
mecp certification is not always needed. I have it and it has not helped me out at all. my experience out shines it.
djfearny2 
Silver - Posts: 810
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2008 at 9:13 PM / IP Logged  
oh year california profile amps are crap, jbc never heard of it and i dont know the model of the rockford amp but i think the newer ones suck. the older ones were so much better. and i hope your using 2000 watt amps not 200 watts. and are your batteries isolated from each other and what size wire are you using zero guage is recomended.
Jon
Installer/Help Technician
---coral springs florida---
mecp certification is not always needed. I have it and it has not helped me out at all. my experience out shines it.
s_goodie 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2008 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  
i have a sealed enclosur demetions from jl website
Stuey BABE
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2008 at 10:17 PM / IP Logged  

s_goodie wrote:
ive got a 13.5 w7 and ive used it with 3 amps a clifornia profile 200 watts, a jbc 1500 watts. and a rockfordfosgate 200 watt amp, and it dont seem to hit or sound good with any of those amps

Not sure what you expect to get by changing around one cheesy amplifier with another - besides you seem to have some misconceptions about power at these output levels anyway - see - changing around 1400 watts, 1800 watts, 1650 watts, 2000 watts, whatever - is all about the same acoustically.  You shouldn't be expecting huge output alterations by swapping around amplifiers like you are.  The difference between 1500 and 2000 watts is <1db.

If your primary goal is output - then the w7 is probably not for you - you need pairs or triples of woofers for these types of applications.

Anyway - you probably have it in an incorrectly sized enclosure - I agree that a ported enclosure - particularly for a single woofer system - is much more desireable.  These woofers seem to do far better ported as well.  I'm not real sure what your standards for output are, but a sealed, single w7 wouldn't make me happy - regardless of power applied to the thing - thats for sure.

Try a ported enclosure, tuned to 33hz with a 3 or 4 inch port in a 2.5cft box.  DO NOT put this woofer in a box smaller than 2 cft - you won't like the results.

djfearny2 wrote:
and are your batteries isolated from each other and what size wire are you using zero guage is recomended

If you batteries are the same age/model then they should be wired in parallel.  None of the OP's comments would require anything more than 4 gauge for amplifers and, possibly, 2 gauge to wire together the batteries.

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic