Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
patrick1 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2008 at 9:29 PM / IP Logged  

I want to build the circuit shown here:

https://www.the12volt.com/relays/page5.asp#lsp

It shows two diodes, one of which is across one of the relay coils.  The relays I acquired from a cadillac in the scrap yard are standard 30A automotive relays, but the diagram on the side of each relay shows a resistor across the coil.  Will the circuit still work as shown in the diagram, with relays with internal resistors across the coils? 

Thanks.

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 08, 2008 at 6:38 AM / IP Logged  
The drawing on the relay that you think is a resistor is actually the coil of the relay. A resistor is a zig-zag, the coil should have little loops at each peak.
patrick1 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2008 at 12:46 PM / IP Logged  

i am an idiot wrote:
The drawing on the relay that you think is a resistor is actually the coil of the relay.

No, it isn't.  I know how to read a schematic.  If you don't know the answer to my question, don't answer.  No need to second guess me.  The diagram clearly shows  the coil with a resistor across it. 

xscash 
Copper - Posts: 317
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2008 at 3:08 PM / IP Logged  

putting a resistor across a coil will dead ground the power being applied to the coil. i think thats why you are being second guessed.

now, it seems to reason that the manufacter of the relay is suppling you with the resisance of the coil, not a resistor across the coil. IMOP

xs

expandable sound
south of boston
xscash 
Copper - Posts: 317
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2008 at 3:10 PM / IP Logged  
patrick1 wrote:

i am an idiot wrote:
The drawing on the relay that you think is a resistor is actually the coil of the relay.

No, it isn't.  I know how to read a schematic.  If you don't know the answer to my question, don't answer.  No need to second guess me.  The diagram clearly shows  the coil with a resistor across it. 

also, if you are going to be a member here, it might be advisable to be nice to people trying to help you.

expandable sound
south of boston
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Posted: March 08, 2008 at 5:34 PM / IP Logged  
Note to self:   No future help for Patricia
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Posted: March 08, 2008 at 6:05 PM / IP Logged  

If the relays you bought are questionable why don't you just buy brand new relays?  Parts Express has them for ~$3 and there need to question their operation.

Does your sheet give a value for the reistor that is supposedely across the coil?  A coil is in essence a resistor, so you are saying there are two resistors in parallel?  There is no reason electronically to do this, as it won't change the way the relay works.  I wonder if perhaps it is some type of snubber or other filter. 

If you are dead set on using the junk relays that you have just hook the coils up to 12vdc and see if they click. 

Kevin Pierson
patrick1 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2008 at 5:02 PM / IP Logged  
xscash wrote:

putting a resistor across a coil will dead ground the power being applied to the coil. i think thats why you are being second guessed.

now, it seems to reason that the manufacter of the relay is suppling you with the resisance of the coil, not a resistor across the coil. IMOP

xs

I don't know why you say a resistor in series would "dead ground the power".  They're wired in parallel, the resistor will draw its load, and so will the coil, no dead shorts here.  I found this document that explains the presence of the resistor across a relay coil:

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/hweb2.pdf

The information is on page 13.

patrick1 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2008 at 11:21 PM / IP Logged  
patrick1 wrote:
xscash wrote:

xs

I don't know why you say a resistor in [b]series[/b] would "dead ground the power".  They're wired in parallel, the resistor will draw its load, and so will the coil, no dead shorts here.  I found this document that explains the presence of the resistor across a relay coil:

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/hweb2.pdf

The information is on page 13.

Meant to say parallel there, not series.

the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2008 at 11:33 PM / IP Logged  
patrick1 wrote:

I want to build the circuit shown here:

https://www.the12volt.com/relays/page5.asp#lsp

It shows two diodes, one of which is across one of the relay coils.  The relays I acquired from a cadillac in the scrap yard are standard 30A automotive relays, but the diagram on the side of each relay shows a resistor across the coil.  Will the circuit still work as shown in the diagram, with relays with internal resistors across the coils? 

Thanks.

No, you will still need to add diodes as shown in my diagram.
latched on/off output circuit -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic