icon

setting up car stereo system?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
99goblin 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2008 at 4:03 PM / IP Logged  

Hey, not sure if this is in the right section but here it goes.

I recently purchased

2- 12" JL W6 subwoofer, 1 Audison LRX 1.1K amplifier (1100RMS), and a 1.3 farad Audison Connection Capacitor... '

I have all of the equipment installed. and all of the wires ran. The problem is i am new to the car audio world and dont know much. I dont want to mess anything up. If someone could describe in as much detail as possible how to set this up i would appreciate that... I know i have to run my amp at 1 ohm to provide enough power to each of the subs.... any help/ diagrams would be appreciated... anything else you need to know just ask. Thanks

sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2008 at 4:07 PM / IP Logged  

Wow - uhh that is some awfully impressive equipment for someone who is "new to the car audio world" - if all your wires are ran - then what - exactly - do you need to know?

Ask specific questions.

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
99goblin 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2008 at 4:21 PM / IP Logged  

well, i had a system from futurshop before :S it was pretty simple to setup... but this on seems to be a bit more complex.

anyways i guess my questions are as follows:

How do i charge my cap? Ive heard this needs to be done...

How do i wire my subs to ensure a 1 ohm load?

Where do i connect the small (18-24 guage) wire coming from the head unit? ( i know its at the amp but not surewhere)

I know i have to run power from battery to fuse, fuse to cap, cap to amp.... the ground from amp to cap and cap to ground....

hopefully you understand what im asking/looking for/the system i am trying to setup... thanks for the help

mcben789 
Copper - Posts: 171
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2008 at 5:09 PM / IP Logged  
Capacitor installation/charging
What ohm load are your W6s? Dual voice coil, etc. Need some more info on those to help you with the wiring.
Remote lead goes from the back of your head unit to the amp's remote turn on lead terminal. Should go right here: (where it says "IN" and
"REMOTE"
setting up car stereo system? -- posted image.
Honestly i'm not really sure how you would connect you turn on wire in that terminal, but that's where you put it.
When I wired my cap, I grounded mine different. This could be wrong (please correct me if I am), but I went from fuse to cap, cap to amp(s), ground to cap, cap to amp(s).
Sasquatch...
We know your legend's real...
elmore4030 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2008 at 1:21 AM / IP Logged  
You would connect the turn on wire to where it says remote in,you only need to connect the 12v power wire to the cap close to the amp, then run it to the amp and just ground it to the chassis or to your main ground where you have grounded your amps at.
Pioneer DEH-P960MP+Multi-CD Player Rockfordfosgate 225.2
Rockfordfosgate T8004 Rockfordfosgate 2 T110D2 InFinity Reference Components 2 sets of 6000cs 2 sets 6800cs
spookiestylez 
Silver - Posts: 531
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2008 at 1:28 AM / IP Logged  
unless your doing a supersick setup, i dont recommend a capacitor. In theory it serves a purpose, but in the real world its just a band aid for more serious issues
rtfm
99goblin 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2008 at 9:48 AM / IP Logged  
The audison amps come with connectors for the remote line... so i guess i only use the "in" line and not the out unless im running more than one amp? ( the connector has two ports one for in one for out) as for charging the cap.... im still unsure of what to do... can any one direct me to a site that explains this? i cant find one!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2008 at 10:09 AM / IP Logged  

Since you spent real money on some nice gear, I suggest you spend a little more and get it installed properly.  Go to a shop in your area - preferably the one where you bought your amp etc., and pay them to set it up properly for you.  And what are you doing for the rest of your system?  All I see discussed is the subwoofer which does not reproduce the majority of music.

Support the12volt.com
99goblin 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2008 at 10:16 AM / IP Logged  
well i already have speakers... i will soon be getting another amp to power them.... but right now im just trying to get the subs set up.... I talked to the guys at the place where i bought all my equippment and he drew me a simple diagram and told me to come back when it was all wired up and they would tune it... maybe ill just leave it all unconnected and take it to them...
99goblin 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2008 at 4:33 PM / IP Logged  

setting up car stereo system? -- posted image.

does this picture refer the connection of the coil overs or the connection of the subs to the amp themselve.... I have not touched the coilovers so they are the way they came from the factory. The subs are connected to the amp. Sub #1 ia connected to speaker A port and sub #2 is connected to speaker port B... the system has not been run yet so i can fix this if its wrong... i am looking for a 1 ohm load and i have a feeling i have to connect the voice coilovers a certain way.... i am uncertain as to if this is correct and how to do this... let me know. thanks

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic