icon

focal 165k2p x4 overkill?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sleepystarz 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2008 at 2:54 AM / IP Logged  

Hello:)  First post here.  Just 2 things I was hoping to get feedback on.  Before going any further, I definately like SQ over SPL, just something to note.

1.  I have 2 sets of Focal 165K2P 6.5" components for a 2001 F150 crew (4 door).  One pair will go up front, one pair in the rear..

Just wondering if anybody thinks this will be overkill?  I'm just hoping adding the Focals to the rear might kill the front soundstage.  I could always have the rears play quieter or adjust somehow to offset it?  MB Quart PAB4100 100x4 will power them.

2.  Still need to purchase a sub and need to stick with just one as space is limited.  I'll be building a custom MDF box for it after finding out what dimensions it will need.  Power will be the MB Quart PAB 1200.1D  600x1 amp.

Looking for input on a good sub to match up with this system.  The mids / highs are going to be pretty loud and bright.  I'd like a sub that can put out the bass and keep up with the Focals but not too loud or overpowering.  Again, I do enjoy SQ over SPL.  Pretty much set on either a 12" or 15" since I'm stuck with using just one sub.

Thanks for any help!  Billy

sleepystarz 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2008 at 2:59 AM / IP Logged  

One sub I've been considering is this one:

http://www.audiopulse.com/products/subwoofer-drivers/epic

Billy

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2008 at 9:00 AM / IP Logged  
Hi, Billy! Another SQ guy here, really... No, really... (That link is to a very lengthy thread discussing my system...)
1: ONE SET of Focals. Front doors only, and bi-amp them. You have 4 channels of amplification, use them all on the front stage, you'll be glad you did.
You are VERY right about the Focals being bright, TOO bright for me. This is why I am recommending a bi-amped setup for your front doors.
2: That Audiopulse driver is a SUPER driver. I have a pair on my car in an isobarik TL. For the money you're going to spend on that driver, I personally don't think you can go wrong AT ALL. 600 watts will be a perfect match for it, too. I'm running 1kW to the pair in my trunk, and they seem to have no issues at all with 500w RMS.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
sleepystarz 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2008 at 5:10 PM / IP Logged  

haemphyst - much obliged!  I'll have a read on your setup tomorrow.  I've already decided before checking back here for just one set up front, and have the 3way Focal K3P coming instead now.  They have the tweet, 1 6.5" midrange, 1 6.5" midbass...all going up front.  Midrange and tweeter in kickpanel, and midbass in door.  There are 2 sets of crossovers with this system (4 total).

Now what would you recommend for amping these?  They say 200rms, 400max.  I'm willing to switch my amp now too.  I BI-WIRED my home theatre rotel 1095 amp to my audiovector mi3 sig. towers and center channel, but that's completely different from BI-AMPING something, which I don't know much about.  Guessing you just use seperate channels for the mids and tweets on one pair of components, 4 channels total.  Could you suggest the ideal amp setup for these K3P Focal 3-ways? (number of channels, power).

Thanks again, I'll probably stick with the audiopulse 12" driver.

Billy

sleepystarz 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2008 at 5:17 PM / IP Logged  

focal 165k2p x4 overkill? -- posted image.

sleepystarz 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2008 at 5:18 PM / IP Logged  
^^^ Pictured above is just one side of the 3way setup incase anyone's confused.
haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2008 at 5:43 PM / IP Logged  
sleepystarz wrote:
3way Focal K3P coming instead now. They have the tweet, 1 6.5" midrange, 1 6.5" midbass...all going up front. Midrange and tweeter in kickpanel, and midbass in door. There are 2 sets of crossovers with this system (4 total)
Ummm.... can't find that system on the Focal page... The three way systems they offer are in the Polyglass and the Be systems... Are you SURE that's what you have on the way?
NM... found em!... Further research ensuing...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
haemphyst 
Posted: March 08, 2008 at 5:55 PM / IP Logged  
OK. It looks like you can bi-wire OR bi-amp those systems. I think that 4 channel that you have will do a fine job.
Two of the channels on the amp will go to the woofer set, the other two channels go to the mid/tweeter set. You will NOT daisychain the crossovers as indicated in the manual. That'll give you the desired 200WPC just more effectively and efficiently divided.
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2008 at 9:19 PM / IP Logged  
Remember if you do kickpanels, there is the fuel pump reset switch behind the passenger kick. You might need to get to it someday!
sleepystarz 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2008 at 1:09 AM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
OK. It looks like you can bi-wire OR bi-amp those systems. I think that 4 channel that you have will do a fine job.
Two of the channels on the amp will go to the woofer set, the other two channels go to the mid/tweeter set. You will NOT daisychain the crossovers as indicated in the manual. That'll give you the desired 200WPC just more effectively and efficiently divided.

Thanks a BUNCH, you've really narrowed it down for me.  I'll indeed remember to send two channels to the tweeter / midrange and 2 channels to the midbass drivers.  I'm also going to BI-WIRE the system (why not, it's only slightly more $$ in wires).  It worked great for my home stereo.

So about the crossovers, I assume just hook the crossovers up seperately.  One set for midrange / tweets and one set for midbass WITHOUT connecting the mid/tweet crossovers w/ the woofer crossover??

Been a great help!  I did a lot of searching but this has helped the most, thanks a lot.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic