icon

customizing interior parts, color

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cglovesaly 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2008 at 9:22 PM / IP Logged  
on alot of the customized cars and trucks out there i see the dash, and center console and door handles etc have been changed to a different color either to match the outside of the car of truck or ne color. im looking to do that with my 99 z24 cavalier. I was woundering wat i wud need and how i can change parts of my dash and center console to match the outside of my car. any ideas? thank you
cg
bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2008 at 10:51 AM / IP Logged  

It varies a lot but there are several techniques. My personal favorites are to use either water-born paint, or to use a flexible paint such as "fusion" or vinyl paint.

You can also use films over your existing parts but getting an exact match to your exterior is hard-to-find most of the time.

Another way is to get a custom color match with epoxy paints designed for use on plastics and rubber. I'm not too familiar with these but if you get someone who knows their paint, they can mix something that can work.

Then there are the reproduction sets. If you have access to a plastics or die company, you can have your parts remade with color matched plastics and resins. However this gets pricey very quickly.

There are other options but none come to my mind at this moment.

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
cglovesaly 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2008 at 12:36 PM / IP Logged  
hey thanks, im looking for the glossy shine to the color, so wud i use a gloss paint to it, wat is vinyl paint, does that have a gloss to it, ill probably use paint to change my color, wud u recomend water born paint, or fusion, or vinyl paint. i want a shine to the paint. thank you
cg
klctexas 
Copper - Posts: 111
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2008 at 10:28 AM / IP Logged  
     You can get  vehicle interior panel spray paint at most home improvement or hardware stores. Just pick the color you want, then you'll need to get a can or two of the clearcoat spray - this is what gives the pieces the glossy look. Just take each piece out of the car, sand it down a little with some 80 grit sandpaper and hit it up with a few layers of the color, then a few layers of the clearcoat. Good to go!
Soldier: This is the worst part. The calm before the battle.
Fry: And then the battle is not so bad?
Soldier: Oh, right. I forgot about the battle.
davngr 
Copper - Posts: 109
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2008 at 12:26 PM / IP Logged  

klctexas wrote:
      sand it down a little with some 80 grit sandpaper!

80 grit?   i would probly start with 100  and then tapper off to 400   even more so if your wanting a glossy finish, since a glossy.

life is a comedy to think, a tragedy to feel
joyrydn 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2008 at 8:50 PM / IP Logged  

you definately want to start with at least 100 grit, then taper to probably 600 grit if you want a glossy look as the smoother the plastic, the glossier it will appear. if you only do 80 grit it will be a chewed up scratchy mess man.  then use a plastic paint adhesion promoter and spray that on then a body filler/primer spray, then sand to 800 grit, then paint a few light coats so it doesnt look runny or blotchy, then few thin coats of clear. let it dry a coupl days then put back in ur car. thats will give you the best results for a diy project.  but make sure for whatever paint products you chose to READ the back of the can, everything out there is different. hope this helps.

and post pics, we all like pics

Make it Euro'n!!!
force 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2008 at 8:57 AM / IP Logged  
Oh and a little bit of advice on the conditions. Make sure its NOT COLD and NOT WINDY.....lol take it from experience. Read back of can it explains is perfectly.
klctexas 
Copper - Posts: 111
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2008 at 11:24 AM / IP Logged  

typo

Soldier: This is the worst part. The calm before the battle.
Fry: And then the battle is not so bad?
Soldier: Oh, right. I forgot about the battle.
spawn12336 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2008 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged  

I redid the majority of my interior with a combination of Duplicolor Adhesion Promoter, colour matched paint and clear coat.

Clean your parts with alcohol, make sure they are completely dry, spray with 2 coats of adhesion promoter, then 3-4 coats of colour, and 3-4 coats of clear. No sanding needed.

"the universe has a way of balancing itself"
joyrydn 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2008 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged  
i would sand if you want it smooth.  otherwise you will have a factory grain.
Make it Euro'n!!!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic