icon

what wires do u guys recomend?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
equalizir 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2003 at 8:57 AM / IP Logged  
im gonna be buying all the wiring,dist.block,patch cables soon.i was wondering who you guys like-streetwire,lightning,rf etc...?
TheFloyd 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2003 at 9:47 AM / IP Logged  
Lightning Audio wires and patch cables have always served me well.  They all seem to be of good quality and can be found at fair prices at places like http://www.onlinecarstereo.com and http://www.sounddomain.com
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2003 at 9:54 AM / IP Logged  
All the manufactures make good cables some more expensive others cheaper. When looking for power / ground cable you want to compare the wire count the higher the number the better the cable is. As far as RCA cables go all the different manufactures clam that their cable has some supper duper technology that blows the competition away. Don’t fall for all that crap just buy a good quality cable. Look for RCA's that are shielded and have a large diameter. For all my cabling needs I like to use a company called www.KnuKonceptz.com  they have very high quality cables for a fraction of the price of their name brand competitors. For their RCA cables I would suggest the Krystal Konnectz Line. And their power cables have one of the highest strand counts I have found.
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2003 at 11:24 AM / IP Logged  

If the wires are run correctly, even the crappiest of patch cables will get the job done.  As long as you don't use something that looks like one of those freebie cables that comes with cd changers, you should be okay.  And as bberman1 said, if possible compare the strand counts for the power/ground wire as that's a good indication of the quality.

Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2003 at 3:41 PM / IP Logged  
lol, strand count doesnt do anything but make the wire more flexible...all of the theories about higher strand count equalling more or cleaner power have been disproven...
if you want to go cheap on your power wire, buy welding cable...very cheap, just not as nice looking as the name brand stuff...for your RCAs something with reasonable shielding and twisted signal cables is sufficient, regardless of what name it is...
if you are shopping for wire these days, as long as you get the right size, the most important thing for most people is cosmetics...wire is wire...buy something that appeals to you and be happy...
I personally run Monster Cable, because I like their RCAs...but it is very pricy...but I like the RCA ends and think they suit the look that I was typically go for...
I once asked an IASCA world champion what he would buy if was going to buy RCA cables and he told me that if he had to pay for them (he is sponsored, and has been for years...all his stuff is free...) he would buy cheap RCA jacks and run primary wire (18ga) in between the ends...for all the difference it makes...
just be sure to run the power and signal cables separately and whatever you buy will probably be sufficient, as long as you buy the appropriate sized wires for everything...
vseven 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2003 at 9:39 PM / IP Logged  
I have to second the recommendation for the Knu Konceptz wire (www.KnuKonceptz.com). The clear power wires look good and so does the price. In fact I just bought 4 feet of 8ga Lightning Audio locally (as I ran out and didnt want to pay shipping from Knu for 4 ft of wire...) and it look exactly identical to the knu konceptz wire, only difference is the name on the side, its even the same font! The only thing I can assume is both companies get it from the same distributor who stamps the name on the side. The Clear blue wire I got is even the same shade of clear blue. Go figure. Get a amp install kit from them off eBay and save yourself some cash. I bought a 4 channel 8ga kit (20ft clear blue power, 3 ft clear silver ground, 2 pairs rca, 20 ft clear dark blue 12 ga speaker) for like $20 something. It was worth the kit just for the wire, let alone the RCA's.   The RCA's looked a bit on the cheap side but they work perfectly. There worth at least checking out.
Allan.
bdl666 
Silver - Posts: 330
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2003 at 1:25 AM / IP Logged  
Who said that strand count doesn't do anything? If you know about electronics or if you are MECP certified you know that low voltage high current wire specially dc current travels trough the surface of the wire. There for the more strands the higher surface area for the current to travel. If you don't think so why do you think that automobile power wires are stranded to begin with( and yes it's convenient to that because of it is stranded is flexible). Check any new car and the factory power wires now have a higher strand count than ever before. But just because of that it you should not go out and buy the most expensive wire made. Try something like Phoenix Gold, it won't break your bank and it's good enough for what you want it(unless you are going for an spl record). Remember buy a heavier gauge that you need just in case you want to upgrade your system later on you won't have to buy something bigger (cheaper to buy it over size than to have to buy something else later on)
Big Purds 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2003 at 4:55 AM / IP Logged  
heheheheheheheheh
Dan M C 
Copper - Posts: 220
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2003 at 7:49 PM / IP Logged  
I used Monster Cable PowerFlex for power and Stinger Dream Series for RCA's...tons of choices,you pick.what wires do u guys recomend? -- posted image.
Big Purds 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2003 at 7:53 PM / IP Logged  
bdl666 take a closer look into things...
strand count is totally irrelevant in car audio power delivery with the sole exception of flexibility...ask richard clark or david navone about that...and if you are unfamiliar with those names then take the time to look them up and figure out who they are and what role they play in this industry...
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic