< Prev Topic Next Topic >
number50 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2008 at 6:51 PM / IP Logged  
Caution - Rules
filler/primer is needed if you want smooth
clear coat is needed for a glossy look
prep plastic with degreaser. Add until water is suddsy. Palmolive or dish soap works well
add adhesive promotor before any layers
use flex agent in all layer (primer, paint, clear coat) to help avoid cracking
Never use armor all or any oil on your interior unless it is stock. You can use meguiars quik wax
High build primer will help get rid of grain if you did not sand much
Be careful with polyester/urethane primers... they need MEKP hardening agents to cure
To clean your gun... loosen aircap so that it just stays on. Put the compressor to 15Psi, Add a little laquer to the cup. Spray the gun (perculate)
To take apart the gun, take off the adjuster on the back, take off the spring, and pull needle out with fingers. PULL HARD
Spraying Primer requires much wider tips. 1.8 or larger
Some Good to Decent Products
SEM Filler Primer in can
SEM Adhesive Promoter
OEM Flex Rose Primer (already has flex agents)
Bulldog Adhesive Promotor
Evercoat Slick Sand Filler Primer
Evercoat Feather fill
Rage products
Dupont Primer
Duplicolor Filler Primer
Krylon Fusion paint for plastics
1. Sand out most grain, or rough the pieces a little bit if they are smooth ... 250 grit is good
     clean before sanding and after sanding with a grease remover.... Or use soapy water and wetsand
     If you want very smooth look, start sand with 80 grit until most grain is gone, then move to 150 grit, then to 220 grit, then 400grit          
2. Spray the panel with 2 coats adhesive promotor
3. Spray panel with Filler primer until grain is gone, sand the primer in between each layer
4. Spray the paint in light coats to help flexibility, at least 3 is usually enough. Leaving about 20-30 minutes between coats, or following directions from the can
5. Let panels dry in the sun as long as possible. One night is good
6. With any imperfections still showing, wetsand them with 600 grit paper
7. When done painting and curing.... spray with clear coats, multiple layers. 5 minutes between coats at least. They cure better together if still painted when not completely dry
8. Let clear coat dry/cure for a couple days. It is quite tacky until hard
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 13, 2008 at 9:47 AM / IP Logged  

You should find a way to send this to the guys @ youneek autosprts.interior paint painting plastic, trim - Last Post -- posted image.

According to Reme, all you need to do is clean the plastic and spray away.

number50 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2008 at 9:54 AM / IP Logged  
Yah, I do agree somewhat. But again all plastics are different, all regions are different, and all people treat their vehicle differently. All that stuff that I listed was just precautionary if you want to really go all out. But yes when I did small pieces like the trimming around handles, and the vents, etc... All I did was clean, sand, clean then 3 coats paint, 3 coats clear coat.
cafociguy 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2008 at 4:54 PM / IP Logged  
I think it all depends on your interior and if you want to be painting it again soon, but me personally I would follow these steps before I just go painting my interior of my car, better to do it right the first time than to do it like 3 times crappy and still have to do it right in the end...  Good write up, only thing I would change is i'm not too fond of leaving my stuff in direct sunlight it will dry over night in the shade too.
bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2008 at 5:20 PM / IP Logged  

All products vary from brand to brand and even within different series of paints. It's best to follow the directions for each type of paint. For example, Fusion paint requires no preparation other than cleaning off the plastics and then letting them cure with a recoat between 5-20 hours and/or after 7 days to prevent lifting.

The types of plastics will also make a HUGE difference. ABS has no problem with most paints and epoxies. However, some plastics such as Polyethelene and Polystyrene plastics will not accept most paints or even epoxies.

Best bet is the same for almost everything: READ THE DIRECTIONS!

^-^v

Ganbatte ne!

----------------------------------------------------------------

Good basic write up, but in many cases and for the abilities/experience of average DIYer as well as supplies and tools on hand, this may not apply to many of them.

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic