icon

motorization

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
blowndakrt 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2008 at 12:59 AM / IP Logged  
Hey everyone.  Just joined up.  Great forum.  I have been reading for quite some time, but never actually joined till now.

I have a question and looking for advice.  I am looking to make a flip up bracket.  I am looking at possibly using it create a flip out license plate.  We have looked at possibly scaveging an old flip out monitor, but they do not slide forward enough.  I looking for an idea or concept that will work with mulitple installation ideas.  Anything from license plates, to monitors, to amp racks.  I was thinking of using an acutator to push it outward, just not sure what you use for the flipping mechanism.  I thought possibly a gear and gear rack mounted towards the end of the travel, but not sure how well this would hold up.  Air or electrical acutator is possible since I am running a bagged suspension.

The actual movement and look I am trying to acheive is copying the movements of a basic in dash flip out, just at a different scale.  I have searched online, but only seem to find license plate brackets that rotate 180 degrees, or just move straight up and down.

Any Input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Shawn
malibudee 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2008 at 5:52 AM / IP Logged  

Hey.

I currently have a flip down plate on my 79 malibu and it works great (only for show's) got it from Autoloc.. a couple of hours of planning and about 2 hours to install and i was in business.. But before i got the autoloc iwhen out and got some window motors with the track but there was no space for it to fit behind my bumper so thats why i went with the autoloc its small and the whole thing fit behind my taillight (Looks Great). You can also use flat glass window motor & track .. the reason why flat glass track cause you can cut the track to fit ..you know like the ones that are on the old school car 1930,1940

malibudee 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2008 at 5:54 AM / IP Logged  
Also look on youtube i seen somebody with a flip over plate .. Just can remember how i ran into it
blowndakrt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2008 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks, But not really the direction I want to go.  I have seen the flip down plates, but that won't work on my application.  Using a window motor would work for pushing the plate outwards, but not sure how to do the flip up portion of it.  I have to go with a flip up over a flip down because of where it needs to be mounted to work.  My bumper is in the way to do a flip down, so wanted to mount it lower and have the plate flip up.

If I recall the flip down plate bracket you are referring to just tucks the plate up flat underneath the bumper correct?  Maybe I will check it out and see if I can adapt something like that just for the flipping mechanism, them build a motorized plate to slide it in and out.

Shawn
cutlass013 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2008 at 9:00 PM / IP Logged  
Hey I would try Something similar to those push out stamp Like in offices if you could just fabricate a track for that they seem to be able to give that kind of flip
bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2008 at 11:33 AM / IP Logged  

Hiya Shawn,

Welcome to the12v dear. You'll need to make a bracket and rail kit for this project. My sweetie has done this thing a few times already and we have 2 designs available for you. Model A Seats up a fair amount of space, but it really turns heads when people see it. Model B still turns heads and eats up a lot less space but doesn't have that "wth" and "Wow!" factor.

Model A: Slides a primary rail out, then when at its full push, flips up the monitor from the back (hinged at the very front) and then pulls the main rail back in until it sits where we want it.

Model B: Much simpler in design, but doesn't stop turning heads. Slides out like most in dash units where the plate comes out flat and then rotates up.

Both these systems run on a single actuator. If you have access to a screw linear actuator I recommend those for actuating. They'll eat up very little space and since they are set up in a worm drive configuration, you don't need a powerful motor to get everything in motion, all you are motioning for is just the plate, not 100lbs+ of subs. Both of these systems use a double layer rail configuration but overall are not too difficult for someone who has basic knowledge in metal fabrication.

A good fabricator takes only about 3-5 hours of construction and installation. Last time we gave a copy of Model B to a rookie, it was a weekend job for him, but he got through it ok.

Normally I like to keep my fabrications tricks a secret (just like a magician) but I'm in a REALLY good mood, so I'm giving a freebie of design away ^-^v

I'll have the Model B posted up here in just a little bit, (gotta dig through the blueprint designs and shrink it for you), but I'll have it  for you say Thursday or Friday at the worst. please wait.

Ganbatte ne!

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
blowndakrt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2008 at 12:36 PM / IP Logged  
AWESOME.  It would be greatly appreciated.  If you prefer, could you send the info to Blowndakrt@mchsi.com?  Also, is something you guys are looking to market?  If you prefer sell these units rather than give out the design, email me a price for both units.

Thank You very much

Shawn

bellsracer wrote:

Hiya Shawn,

Welcome to the12v dear. You'll need to make a bracket and rail kit for this project. My sweetie has done this thing a few times already and we have 2 designs available for you. Model A Seats up a fair amount of space, but it really turns heads when people see it. Model B still turns heads and eats up a lot less space but doesn't have that "wth" and "Wow!" factor.

Model A: Slides a primary rail out, then when at its full push, flips up the monitor from the back (hinged at the very front) and then pulls the main rail back in until it sits where we want it.

Model B: Much simpler in design, but doesn't stop turning heads. Slides out like most in dash units where the plate comes out flat and then rotates up.

Both these systems run on a single actuator. If you have access to a screw linear actuator I recommend those for actuating. They'll eat up very little space and since they are set up in a worm drive configuration, you don't need a powerful motor to get everything in motion, all you are motioning for is just the plate, not 100lbs+ of subs. Both of these systems use a double layer rail configuration but overall are not too difficult for someone who has basic knowledge in metal fabrication.

A good fabricator takes only about 3-5 hours of construction and installation. Last time we gave a copy of Model B to a rookie, it was a weekend job for him, but he got through it ok.

Normally I like to keep my fabrications tricks a secret (just like a magician) but I'm in a REALLY good mood, so I'm giving a freebie of design away ^-^v

I'll have the Model B posted up here in just a little bit, (gotta dig through the blueprint designs and shrink it for you), but I'll have it  for you say Thursday or Friday at the worst. please wait.

Ganbatte ne!

blowndakrt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2008 at 1:34 AM / IP Logged  
Was just curious if you had the chance to come up with anything yet?

Thanks

Shawn
bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2008 at 2:08 PM / IP Logged  
oh my... I am SOOOOOOO sorry. I completely spaced out on this. The shop has been VERY busy and it slipped. I'll start looking right away. Forgive me for this delay.
Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
xsdbs 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2008 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  

Hello,

I would be interested in seeing this project too when you get the time to post it. Thanks

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic