icon

parallel vs series

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
944guy 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2008 at 10:32 AM / IP Logged  
Ok I have a Porsche 944 I am mounting two eights in a ported box in the tire well. The box is made of veneer plywood while the face and parts you see are made of maple. I have them hooked up in series so right now there are running at 16 ohms I have heard that they will be a lot louder if I hook them up to run parallel at 4 ohms. Is this true or is this just a lie or if it is true can some one explain it or send me a link were it explains it.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 14, 2008 at 11:02 AM / IP Logged  

It is true, if you run the subs at 4 ohms they will have 4x more power going to them.  That would equate to roughly a 6dB gain in volume.

The lower the load (impedence) an amplifier has to work with the more power it will output.  This is a function of Ohm's law that states Current = Voltage / Resistance.

To plug in some fake numbers assume your amps output voltage is a static 100VAC.  If your amp sees a 16 ohm load the amplifier will output 6.25 Amps of current which would be 625 watts (Power = Volts x Current).

Now, drop that load to 4 ohms and you'll see 25 Amps of current, which would be 2500 watts of power (exactly 4x more power).  Now, efficiencies of the amp will take a toll on actual numbers, but that is the math behind it all.

Kevin Pierson
944guy 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2008 at 1:36 PM / IP Logged  
I was also told that making it 16 ohms some how effects the resident frequency is this right or is this absolutely wrong.
944guy 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2008 at 2:02 PM / IP Logged  
Also how much a is a 6db gain in a percent?
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 14, 2008 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged  

I may be wrong here, but I believe the only thing that will change with raising the impedence is you will lower the total harmonic distortion (THD).  So, with a higher impedence you will get better sound quality, but I don't think it will effect the resonant frequency as the resonant frequency of the car is determined by the car and the resonent frequency of the sub system is determined by the box.

You can't really express dB in a percent because it is a logarithmic function.  Without knowing your current system level it would be impossible to calculate the amount of a 6dB increase.

If we assume you are at 120dB and this change bumps you to 126dB it is safe to say that it will be a very noticable difference.

Kevin Pierson
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 14, 2008 at 11:05 PM / IP Logged  

Really good information from KPierson, as usual.  All amplifiers (that I know of) will work with a 4 ohm load, so try the parallel wiring and listen for yourself for a few days.  You will know what you prefer.

By the way, running subs at 4 ohms is considered almost audiophile practice now.  They are most commonly connected to an amplifier at 2 ohms.  You may hear no difference at all in sound quality between 4 ohms and 16 ohms, but it will definitely be louder at 4.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic