the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

viper fried? dont understand

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gottspeed 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2008 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  
I had my whole Viper 5900 in and working, but with the + Door sensor wire hooked to the dome light+12V the alarm would always report the door as open when arming. Also, when remote starting, it continues to flash the park lights after my dakota fires up. I just cut the harness of my polar start for the parking lights and brake lights..
I couldn't see anything about relays being mandated for the wires I was using.
So, I came inside, looked on the net for help, and by the time I got back to the truck the alarm wasn't responding at all.
No LED, no remote response, nothing. And all the fuses are intact.
Did I fry the brain? How can I figure that out before I have it installed professionally?
dtk1 
Copper - Posts: 179
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2008 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged  
it seems like the door trigger was hook to dome light the reason why it shows the door open is because of the delay for the interior lights as soon as the lights go out the alarm should be fine that way if some one opens the door the interior lights turn on and triggers the alarm.the parking lights issue is normal after you remote start the car the lights blink letting you know the car is on its rare for a viper brain to go out because of a bad connection thats why theres a fuse for parking lights and a fuse for constant its rare i'v seen vipers going bad but there old system like a viper 300 old one where also has to do on the installetion but till this day i haven't seen a viper 5900 go bad
gottspeed 
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2008 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, but the lights continue to flash, continuously. They don't stop!
And there is no delay on my dome light at all, I'm concerned that straight 12V to the door sensor in line with a light bulb may have cooked the unit.
Is there any way to test the unit? Should it show me a LED with just a couple wires connected to troubleshoot?
Thanks again for any help, I'm so stressed I might have toasted it...
dtk1 
Copper - Posts: 179
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2008 at 10:38 PM / IP Logged  
you mean after the truck is off the lights still flashing? are you doing the install or it has been in the truk for a while? also can i get the year that way i can look up the info and be able to help you a out a little bit more do the interior lights turn on ? also it the LED or nothings is responding chek your ground
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2008 at 10:53 PM / IP Logged  
Default in the programming is light flash when remote start.......
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
gottspeed 
Posted: March 16, 2008 at 7:33 AM / IP Logged  
So the parking lights are supposed to flash on and off for as long as the vehicle runs without a key in it? The ABS dash light is on too... I know something is wrong..
Its a 97 dodge dakota, could it be an issue with having the wrong ignition wire for the abs light to come on?
I just want to see if it still works, can I hook a couple leads up to the battery and ground the rest to see if i get activity?
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 16, 2008 at 8:50 AM / IP Logged  
Hmm, let's see.
--The default (and ugly, I think) mode for DEI product is to flash the parking lights when the car is remote started. (You can get rid of that in programming, and set them to steady.)
When you enter the car, turn the key on, and press the brake to shift into gear and drive away, the lights should go out completely.
If the lights don't go out when you hit the brake, and you don't hear the relays in the unit click off..........then most likely the Viper isn't "seeing" the brake signal from the car.
Just to save a little time, first verify that the actual brake lights on your Dakota are working. Then, check your brake connection from the Viper to the truck.
--Did you test the domelight wire you connected to on the Dakota? The information I have shows a negative yellow wire.
That wire would also rest as positive when the door is closed, which would make the alarm think a door is open.
Try this: Open door. Arm alarm. Do you get the door-open warning now? Next, close the door. Did the alarm go off?
--You say sometimes there's no response from the remote at all?
In that case, things like door trigger and brake wire don't matter......there are only a few things to check. Ground, power, and antenna.
Make sure the antenna is plugged in securely at both ends, and nothing has pinched or cut the antenna cable.
It is best to TEST the power and ground wires going into the unit with a test light or multimeter. Just because the fuses look good, doesn't mean the connections are.
--If you've removed an old remote starter, but left the wires, and connected the Viper's wires to the Polar's old wires..............well, the good thing is that the wires have already been found for you, but one downside is that you're relying on the previous installer's work.
If you choose to do it that way, it become especially important to test the wires. Even if the connections were good enough before you started, if they were of poor quality, just a little bit of wiggling and pulling (while you were in there working) can be enough to make them come loose.
brhaugen 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2008 at 8:56 AM / IP Logged  
Your abs is on because you missed the 2nd ignition wire.
Hook the unit back up and test.
Did you test your light wires? I will guess you have a (-) hooked to the (+) input or vise-versa.
gottspeed 
Posted: March 16, 2008 at 9:08 AM / IP Logged  
I appreciate the advice guys, I guess I had everything hooked up properly from whats been said here, I got cold feet and pulled it all out when the alarm stopped responding all together or showing an LED.
So I'll do a dry run under the hood with the battery.
I'll do some more troubleshooting and get back to yall.
Cheers and thanks again!
brhaugen 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2008 at 9:13 AM / IP Logged  
take your time, keep calm, I am sure everything will work out fine
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic