In-dash LCD dilemma

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
trdgts 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2003 at 1:21 PM / IP Logged  

Hi all,

hopefully this question doesnt come off as a dumb one, ive done a search and came up with no answers. this is the deal...i currently have an eclipse 55090 single din dvd/cd headunit. i have a double din opening in my car, so what id like to do is place an in-dash lcd unit right above the eclipse to fill in the double din space. OK, the problem is, i dont know how easy it is to hook up an LCD unit to the 55090. in the past ive looked at pioneer/sony/eclipse in-dash LCD units without all the CD/DVD features to keep the price down. obviously i dont need those features on the unit because the dvd/cd will run off the 55090. i was ready to buy the pioneer avx-7300 until i read something about it needing a master unit or something separate. that freaked me out and i didnt want to buy an LCD unit only to find out id have a screen installed that wouldnt work until i bought another unit. ive been reading all about these new units with a "brain" already integrated and that just confuses me more. does that mean im stuck with shelling out more money to buy a brain to go along with these stand alone in-dash LCDs? or am i worrying for nothing and is connecting jus a matter of plugging video cables? will the 55090 cables simply plug in to any LCD deck, or am i lookin at all kinda splicing? the LCD unit im currently lookin at is the in-dash sony 7in LCD unit (XAV-7W). thanks in advance for the help. and sorry it's a lot of reading!

trdgts 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2003 at 11:26 PM / IP Logged  
how often do the techs help around here :)
ViperATC5 
Copper - Posts: 202
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2003 at 7:16 AM / IP Logged  
I am assuming that your in dash DVD/CD player has a video out plug - This plug will connect into any screen that has a video input. Some of the in dash units have proprietary connections and would only connect to a screen made by the same manufacturer as the deck, in your case eclipse. Just check your equipment for compatibility. As for power, the screens typically require 12v constant, switch and ground. Should be simple.
trdgts 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2003 at 10:04 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks. i'll look at the video out. so as far as compatability goes, will all in dash LCD units have the same video input? id hate to buy the sony or pioneer only to find out i cant connect it. and am i worrying over nothing about a "brain" or any other third/separate unit to get my lcd/dvd to work together?

ViperATC5 
Copper - Posts: 202
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2003 at 7:02 PM / IP Logged  
If it is a standard RCA style video plug then yes, it wont matter what you are hooking up - just be sure both units have that style video input/output. Since your eclipse unit already plays DVDs, all you need the screen for is the picture - The audio will be sent through your existing system. The brain components commonly provide a 5.1 dolby output to create dolby surround sound. A brain is not necessary if all you are adding is a screen.
trdgts 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2003 at 10:34 PM / IP Logged  

thanks for the tips. i took a closer look at my eclipse unit and it is indeed jus a normal rca video cable hookup. now hopefully the sony LCD doesnt have some special connecter for sony-specific units :)

also, i was lookin at the wiring for the eclipse deck, and i dont see anything that needs to be connected to the parking brake, so i assume dvd playback should be accessible even while driving.

and the sony LCD unit will require the parking brake wire to be grounded somewhere on the car?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic