icon

engine noise

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
derekr 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2008 at 11:20 PM / IP Logged  
Hi. I just put a system in my friends car. Consists of a Sony head unit. Two 100 watt Rampage front speakers wired into a 150 amp Nakamichi amp. Two 290 watt JVC 6 by 9 in the rear, along with two 12 inch Kickers, that are wired into a 300 amp amp. The woofers are also routed through a cross over. Also I have the power going into a distribution block. The grounds are also ran through a power block. We tested the system afterwards and there was no engine noise. Shut the car off and started it again and the engine noise came back. Does anybody have any advise on what the problem could be. I know that the constant and ignition power are crossed in the head unit. I am going to fix that tomarrow. What could it be?
Derek Ronning
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 17, 2008 at 6:40 AM / IP Logged  
When you say the woofers are routed through a crossover, are you talking about an active electronic crossover?  If so what brand is it?  Where is the noise coming from, the woofers or your other speakers?  If out of the woofer only, have you tried bypassing the crossover to see if the noise goes away?
audioman2007 
Copper - Posts: 580
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2008 at 3:09 PM / IP Logged  
I have had basically no luck when I use an external crossover. Basically all they do (besides what they are supposed to do) is magnify any possible noise in your system or in my case, cause noise. In my opinion, I dont like them at all. The amp's crossover is fine for me. But I would do what "i am an idiot" said. Simply bypass the crossover. If the noise goes away, then you have a bad ground for the crossover and is causing a ground loop.
derekr 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2008 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  

the noise is coming from the rear speakers only.

Derek Ronning
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 17, 2008 at 7:27 PM / IP Logged  

Are you calling your subs the rear speakers?   

audioman2007 
Copper - Posts: 580
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2008 at 7:29 PM / IP Logged  

Im alittle lost. You have your front speakers wired to an amp, your subs wired to an amp, but your rear speakers are wired to your headunit?

derekr 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2008 at 9:14 PM / IP Logged  
i just narrowed the problem down to hte cross over. it is a pioneer electronic cross over.
Derek Ronning
derekr 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2008 at 9:18 PM / IP Logged  

I have the subs and rear speakers wired into one amp and the front peakers into the other amp. I have RCA cord from the head unit back. I have the crossover for the subs and rear speakers. I have no noise if I bypass the cross over.

Derek Ronning
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2008 at 7:09 PM / IP Logged  
". . . external crossover. Basically all they do (besides what they are supposed to do) is magnify any possible noise in your system or in my case, cause noise". Thousands of external X-overs have been installed with no problems. Before the internal stuff your only choice was outboard. Installed correctly they are perfectly exceptable and some,the quality is beyond what comes internal with the amp.
Pioneer stuff has grounding issues. Decks especially. Since you haver found it to be the X-over, try opening the case and look for burnt traces or something shorting against the case.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic