icon

dual alternators and batteries

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
blazin97 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2008 at 7:11 PM / IP Logged  
Ok so this is my first post on here so I hope you guys can be cool and help me. My problem is my lights dim really bad when I have my system up. I know the basics of this stuff but not all of it, yet.
I upgraded the big 3 with 4 gauge(Battery- to chassis, chassis to engine and alternator to battery+), got a 2 farad capacitor, and grounded amp and capacitor to 2 seperate spots on the chassis and the lights still dim bad.
I have heard of others putting in a second alternator and battery and want to do it to my truck. I got a 120 amp alternator out of my buddies DeVille and mounted it to where my a/c compressor was(got rid of a/c). Now I have to wire it up and that is my problem, the Caddy has the 3 wire. The wires are: red 10 gauge goes to starter solonoid, gray 14-16 gauge goes to idiot light on the dash, and red 14-16 gauge goes to ingition which switches on the alternators field windings. Now where can I hook up the 14-16 gauge red wire to so the alternator can charge the 2nd battery without overcharging it? Do I need something elso or what? Also I don't want a manual switch.
Thanks
1997 Chevy Blazer 2dr 2wd 4.3l 5speed
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2008 at 8:31 PM / IP Logged  

You ditched your a/c for ur stereo?! 

Wow.  That's dedication.

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
mcben789 
Copper - Posts: 171
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2008 at 8:47 PM / IP Logged  
I have been wanting to do this for so long, but found nothing that could help. I haven't looked in a while, but when I was interested I looked for mounting brackets, etc. and found nothing. Sorry I can't really help, but good luck.
If you ever figure it out post some pictures up, I'd really like to see how it turned out.
Back to your thing, I always had the theory to leave my stock alternator like it is, charging everything all dandy, and then have another alternator strong enough to charge a different battery all separate from stock stuff too hook my amps up to, so I don't have to worry about getting a 300+ amp alt.
Great minds think alike ;)
Sasquatch...
We know your legend's real...
skee-weezy 
Copper - Posts: 177
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2008 at 9:01 PM / IP Logged  

first off.. i wouldn't recommend what u are tryin to do.... but i can say this..... i admire the dedication.... u need to consult a shop that specializes in charging systems before u proceed.... like an alternator shop or high performance shop or something... next up... do u have a bracket already fabbed out to hold that other alternator in there the rite way????

second... a 120 amp alternator is nuthing in the world of car audio...... it's only gonna give u 60 amps at idle speed of the engine.. what u need to do is get yourself an ohio generator or a mean green high performance alternator... if money is tight see if there is a rebuild kit available for that alternator and see if u can bump it up a few amps...  most decent class d amps will pull 60 amps like it's nuthing...

third... get rid of the cap... if u are pullin enough current your charging system is gonna see that cap like it's just another amp and still not help u much... u need to get some optimas or kinetik power cells.. those will do the job if u got a high amperage system....

one thing u do have workin for u is the fact that u got a chevy.. there are many charging system upgrade alternators available.. u might wanna consider just replacing your stock alternator with a 200 amp alternator or better.....

there can be only one.......
mcben789 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2008 at 5:08 PM / IP Logged  
Don't conform.   Find something new and be an freaking Isaac Newton here. I say learn about how to do it and do it. Its no fun letting other people do your stuff.
Sasquatch...
blazin97 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2008 at 5:47 PM / IP Logged  

There are really only 2 problems and they are: I think the ground will have to be its own wire so it doesnt compete with the stock. Also making sure the alternator doesnt over charge the battery.

Yes I am dedicated, I live in IL and it doesnt get that hot up here and if it does thats why I have windows.

I have already mounted the second alt. has been on the truck for about a month now with no probs.

skee-weezy 
Copper - Posts: 177
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2008 at 6:33 PM / IP Logged  

okay... are u plannin to connect that alternator to the cars primary battery... if so... this wouldn't be necessary... what u are planning to do is run two virtually independent chargin systems... one for the truck.. one for the system....... overcharging shouldn't be an issue because that second alternator should have a voltage regulator inside of it that will shut the alternator off when your cells reach their limit... plus your amps will be distributing the current when u are bumping your system... but u probably wanna get yourself a separate voltage meter for the audio systems alternator... completely separate from the other alternator...

so just so we are clear..... stock alternator and battery underhood should be connected as if u had no system whatsoever.... completely separate from the 2nd alternator... then get yourself an optima or a kinetik to go in the back somewhere.. or even under the hood too if u got the room... and now this is strictly for the audio system....... make sense... lemme know if not... and yes the ground and charge wire from the second alternator will be separate too..... lemme know if this helps......

there can be only one.......
blazin97 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2008 at 11:32 AM / IP Logged  

Yah I just want it as its own sytem seperate from stock.

mcben789 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2008 at 1:59 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah do that.
Sasquatch...
mcben789 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2008 at 1:37 PM / IP Logged  
If you ever figure this out let me know for real...I have been interested in this idea..
Sasquatch...

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic