icon

omega mars 22 remote start no start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
n2audio 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2008 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  

In December I purchased a '99 Mitsu Montero Sport.  A previous owner had installed an Omega MARS-22 remote starter.

The remote start feature has worked fine until now.

I recently removed the wires from the (+) battery terminal to remove some minor corrosion and apply some anti-corrosion grease.

After reconnecting the wires the truck won't start by remote OR CONVENTIONALLY.

I get a series of clicks when I try to start it by remote (just like it's going to start), but it doesn't crank.  Using the key gets the same results.

I'm not going to accept that it's a low battery, at least not at this point - all the accessories work fine and the headlight shine bright.

Also, since cleaning the batt. terminals - opening a door, or attempting a remote start causes the parking lights to flash continuously for 30 sec or so.

I'm trying to find something in the manual about a reset procedure, but nothing's jumping out at me.

I'm lost, and my wife is without her truck because of this accessory I don't really need anyway -- VERY frustrating.

techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2008 at 10:38 PM / IP Logged  
Have you metered the battery to see what the voltage is at rest and with a load? It may be the battery cells are low. Is it one that is maintenance free or can you pop up the top covers? Check fluid levels if possible and add proper battery solution if low or water in the meantime and then charge battery overnight with no load. Put back in vehicle and see what the value is at rest and under load, if problem with voltage then cell damage had occurred from not keeping up with fluid. If it is a no maintenance then you may need a new battery. I would also inspect ground cable for loose connection, oxidization or corrosion at the connections. I would buy an inexpensive tester to check voltage, normally you can find one for under 20 bucks.
Since the vehicle is about 9 years old it is bound to have one of these issues.
The wire I'm test'n isn't doin' what it's supposed to be doin'... I am so glad I printed that tech sheet, with the wrong info.
Do it right the first time... or I might have to fix it for ya
n2audio 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2008 at 8:25 AM / IP Logged  

I have a DMM.  I'm fairly well versed in basic electronics. 

We just went through a brutal winter with a LOT of mornings in the 00's to 10's.  It has NEVER shown signs of a weak battery.

It has a $90 800CCA Duralast Gold battery that isn't more than 2 or 3 yrs old.

Voltage drops from ~12.4 to ~12.2 when the pkg lights are flashing.  I realize that's less than ideal (12.6v), but there's no evidence telling me it's not capable of cranking the engine.

At the end of the remote starting sequence (the point where it should try to start) there's no voltage drop at all.  This tells me the starter is being disabled, THAT is the problem I need to solve.

turboneon 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2008 at 8:45 AM / IP Logged  
Have you tried cleaning off the grease you put on? There may be to much on it and it is causing the terminal to not make a complete connection.
From what you have said, that is where I would start. Also check the cable to terminal connection and see if moving caused any wires to break.
After doing that, if it does not start, try jump starting the vehicle.
Everything sounds like there is not enough voltage getting to the car from the battery.
Since you are getting a click from the RS as well as the key, it should not be the RS keeping it from starting. Voltage is getting to the starter solenoid, but there isn't enough to turn the starter.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 20, 2008 at 8:49 AM / IP Logged  

Get under the dash and see if you have a starter kill installed. your starter wire is blk / YELLOW.

Disconnect it from the relay and put the starter wire back together. This should at least let you start with the key.

n2audio 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2008 at 9:29 AM / IP Logged  
KarTuneMan wrote:

Get under the dash and see if you have a starter kill installed. your starter wire is blk / YELLOW.

Disconnect it from the relay and put the starter wire back together. This should at least let you start with the key.

I got a similar response from someone at Sounddomain.  That sounds like the next logical step.

"go into the factory ignition harness and remove the relay that acts as a starter kill. Reconnect the starter wire and then you won't have this problem. Disconnect the power from teh alarm, this is your quick fix. This will allow you use of the car while you troubleshoot the issue."

So from your advice, and the above quote --

The "ignition harness"?  Would this be in the steering column?  (That's where it was in my old T-bird)  I need to find a blk/yel wire - trace it to a relay (I assume this wire will go into and out of the relay).  Take them off the relay and connect them?

I was able to get in touch with the tech at caralarm.com (Omega's site)...I was told to cut the orange wire coming off the remote start unit.  It is the starter kill and cutting it should allow the starter to work.

I suppose I could also trace this orange wire to find the starter kill relay?

n2audio 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2008 at 7:03 PM / IP Logged  

I've accumulated some more info - hopefully it will help someone help ME get this stupid thing figured out.

It seems I have the MARS32, not the 22.  The 32 is basically a full featured alarm with remote start.

What's happening is the alarm will not disarm.  Which is disabling the starter.

I can enable the starter by following KarTune's so the truck will at least be functional.  However, if the alarm never disarms it appears I'll be driving around with flashing parking lights all day. 

This is not fun at all.

turboneon 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2008 at 7:52 PM / IP Logged  
Why not just unplug the alarm brain?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic