icon

capacitor wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jeremy holmes 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2008 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged  
Question about wiring a capacitor. I have a 00 Cavalier. Upgraded the Big Three to 0 guage. My system consists of three Audiobahn AW1000v 10's, three A8000T running 2 ohm's (one per sub) all through an ABD40x bass driver, and a A6004T powering 6x9's and components. I don't have any interest in a secondary battery as I don't listen with the car not running very often. I do have an Audiobahn 10 farad cap with distribution block. I was wondering if I could run a battery isolator directly to the capacitor, then out to my amplifiers?
audioman2007 
Copper - Posts: 580
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2008 at 6:09 PM / IP Logged  
Why would you want a battery isolator? The purpose of a battery isolator is to isolate 1 battery from the other so that only 1 would go dead if there was a problem, like if you were to listen to your sound system with the car turned off, it would only drain the 2nd battery, not the main battery. Basically you want to isolate the cap from the battery? You dont need to do that since the capacitor will discharge either when the headunit is turned off or the vehicle is turned off.
jeremy holmes 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2008 at 7:07 PM / IP Logged  
My thought behind isolating the capacitor is to completely isolate the stereo system from the rest of the car's electrical system.
audioman2007 
Copper - Posts: 580
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2008 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  
While the vehicle is turned off or what?
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2008 at 8:38 PM / IP Logged  
The cap alone is not enough to support your system.   Lose the isolator idea.   It would also be wise to start considering a high output alt, I dont expect the factory alt to last very long.
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic