icon

subwoofer whine

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
johnsonmn2 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2008 at 11:51 PM / IP Logged  
ok, i know if you have your rcas ran along your car on the same side as your power wires with no seperation you will get whine. ive never experienced whine when i had a 300 rms sub amp and a 200 rms speaker amp but when i changed from a 300 rms sub amp to a 1000 rms ma audio amp along with the 200 rms speaker amp when i play with the sub amps external bass bost knob i get whine??????????
johnsonmn2 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2008 at 12:14 AM / IP Logged  
also the wine happens either playing or on pause but if i turn the knob down its pretty much gone
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 21, 2008 at 12:26 AM / IP Logged  

That's a grounding issue.  Reground your amp to a new location, near the other amp's ground, but using its own drilled hole.  Sand away paint and secure the connection.

Of course, it could be a crappy amplifier design too.  But resecure the ground first before further troubleshooting.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
johnsonmn2 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2008 at 2:25 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks, I'll try that I appreciate your fast response. subwoofer whine -- posted image.
audioman2007 
Copper - Posts: 580
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2008 at 9:49 AM / IP Logged  
Then reason the whine is now present is because you upgraded the amp. You went from a small amp that could possibly have been giving a whine but since the amp was small, it wasnt heard. Now you went to a bigger amp thus magnifing the whine to where it can now be heard. But stevdart is correct. Your ground has too high of a resistance which is causing a ground loop. You need to change the ground. You could use a DMM to test the grounding point. A good ground will show under 1/2 ohm resistance.
coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2008 at 12:03 PM / IP Logged  
On a side note, did you upgrade your power wire?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2008 at 2:59 PM / IP Logged  
I usually find that my subwoofers stop their whining if I slap them around and tell them to grow up and stop being such babies.  But yea, you need to fix your ground.  subwoofer whine -- posted image.
Support the12volt.com
johnsonmn2 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2008 at 11:13 PM / IP Logged  
no i haven't upgraded yet, im running 5 ga and its sacrificing hella power but i get paid today so hopefully I can upgrade. the kicker is sad being underpowered, it told me so
audioman2007 
Copper - Posts: 580
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2008 at 11:20 AM / IP Logged  
I would upgrade to no smaller than 4 gauge. I would also rip out your RCA's and run them down the passenger side of the vehicle. Then I would take a DMM and check the amps ground. See if the resistance is above 1/2 ohm. If it is, then you need to relocate the ground to a location that is no more than 1/2 ohm resistance. That will solve the problem. Another thing... My amp has an external bass knob, and I personally hate them. I think they are a waste. If you have your amp set correctly, you wont need to adjust the bass. Plus my headunit has a sub output which I can change how many decibels my headunit sends to the amp. I can also mute it if I need to. But I never change those settings. I also never install those external bass knobs. That is just my personal opinion though.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2008 at 11:44 AM / IP Logged  
The size of the power wire is not causing the ground loop.  The quality of the ground connection is.  Measure your ground return resistance and read the proper grounding sticky post.
Support the12volt.com
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic