icon

93 camry v6 wagon at, alarm wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
septicdeath 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2008 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys, its been some time since I've worked on any imports. The last 4 alarms have all been on more modern Ford Trucks and SUV's. Cant afford the 7 MPG on my Excursion, so I picked up a 93 Camry Wagon, I have enough equipment left lying around to warrant tossing a upgraded alarm into the ride.
I've gotten just about all I need from the home page charts, except the dome light and the rear wagon lid/trunk. I dont have the car til next week, and have been getting everything prepared.
Anyone know if the Dome Light is negative trigger?
The rear lock on the hatch, its wired into the rest of the vehicle locking system? or is it like a trunk? Anyone know?
Finally, the vehicle has a "toyota factory" alarm added to it, its got the manual in the glove box, it might have been sold and added to the car at the dealer, but its not integrated into the car, its under the left side kick panel, and has a drilled dash for the red led. I hope to trace its wire's as to not have to cut into the factory harnesses a second time, but under the kick panel on the drivers side seems like a dumb spot to put the brain. Anyone else been behind the dash and located a nice hidden location for the brain in a install they did on this older car?
Thanks guys...
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 24, 2008 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  
I'm trying to remember the domelight color....I want to say RED / white?
But it's easy to find. As you look at the fuse box, there's a plug at the top. It'll have two wires, or four wires if the car has a sunroof. It's easy to see that the wires exit upward, toward the driver's A-pillar.
That's the harness that runs up to the headliner, and the domelight wire is there.
I've never done a wagon, but I would imagine the back door would probably unlock together with the front ones.
If the rear door also turns on the front domelight, then you wouldn't have to worry about separate trunk trigger.
As for the alarm, is it called a Toyota VIP? Maybe VIP3000 or something like that? Those generally plug into various parts of the car with a T-harness, although a couple of wires get spliced in, aftermarket style.
If you want, you can follow the harness from the alarm, undo the T-harnesses, and remove all of it.
brhaugen 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2008 at 6:31 AM / IP Logged  
I dislike VIP - they muck everything up - I would highly recommend unplugging it.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2008 at 6:21 PM / IP Logged  
Chris and Mr. HAUGEN are both right, for my tuppence worth "factory alarm" was actually a dealer install, made by Fujitsu and basically a copy of the old Clifford Novel with a glass break. Suggest unplugging it and then see if car starts, if so see what each wire does and  connect to new alarm, on that vintage Toyota, hatchbacks and wagons and SUVs often commoned trunk lights and dome lights, colour for (all) door contacts is RED / white with silver or white dots.
septicdeath 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2008 at 12:47 PM / IP Logged  
thanks.
Am getting ready to wire up a relay for dome supervision, I think I am going to send the same signal to the headlights, so when my wife disarms the car, if its dark, lots of light...
Thanks..
Chris Luongo 
Posted: March 27, 2008 at 2:48 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, that's a nice feature.
On a Caprice I had, I used the dome supervision output to the domelight, headlights, parking lights, and backup lights. When unlocked the whole are around the car lit up.
I tried that on a Toyota (Scion xA) once......
When the car was remote started, in Park of course, and then the backup lights came on, the car's computer "saw" that the car was in Park and Reverse at the same time, and tripped the Check Engine light.
septicdeath 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2008 at 3:10 PM / IP Logged  
Im not going to open another thread. I have another question. I just got a Pioneer AVIC-Z2 and it has a Car Speed Signal Input on it, I have never had a navigation unit, but I remember seeing a color code for the VSS (the avic says to connector to the vehicle speed detection circuit. Does VSS = Vehicle Speed Sensor. And is this what I tap into with this wiring harness.
Thanks
Chris Luongo 
Posted: April 24, 2008 at 9:32 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, VSS equals Vehicle Speed Sensor.
A common VSS color for Toyotas is PURPLE / white.
Try www.rostra.com. Rostra makes cruise controls, and their site has a VSS database.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic