icon

windows and locks quit working

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fatgotti 
Copper - Posts: 177
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2008 at 2:13 PM / IP Logged  

2002 Pontiac Bonneville  windows and locks quit working except for driver door which both work.  any ideas will be helpful..

Fatgotti    Yeah my name is John and I am FAT!! YEAH BABY
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2008 at 3:04 PM / IP Logged  
There is a tan/white wire that comes from the driver's door and goes to all the other doors. It is a data wire that commands each door module to work the locks and windows. It could be broken and the most likely place is in the rubber boot between the driver's door and the body of the car. There could be other wires broken too that may cause this problem.
sparky
mobile1 
Silver - Posts: 479
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2008 at 10:28 PM / IP Logged  
You could try resetting the DDM by disconnecting the battery for about 10-15 minutes.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 27, 2008 at 6:27 AM / IP Logged  
I would try disconnecting the battery for a little while too.
That car doesn't have conventional, heavy wires going from one door to another.
Inside each door is a "door module," more or less a computer.
When the driver (from his switch on the driver's door) tries to roll down a passenger window (or lock/unlock a door), it goes like this:
--A short wire goes from the driver's window (or doorlock) button, to the driver's door module.
--The driver's door module communicates (via the tan/white wire sparkie mentioned) with the other door modules in the car.
--Through that data wire, the DDM (driver's door module) commands the other door to roll its window down, lock its door, etcetera.
--It's not fully clear why GM built the car this way, but it's probably either to save money, weight, or both.
While it's possible for a door module to fail, I would doubt that all three passenger door modules failed at the same time.
I would check ALL fuses in the car, both underhood and under the back seat.
Probably, either the passenger door modules aren't getting power, or maybe there's a break in the data line somewhere.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic