icon

how to protect the underside

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
icrman 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2008 at 11:55 PM / IP Logged  

Can you install a proximity sensor under a vehicle? And what about small dogs or cats or other animals setting it off?

KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 27, 2008 at 7:36 AM / IP Logged  
Of course you can, as long as the prox sensor is designed for outdoor installation.  I doubt you will find a car security based prox that would last if it were exposed to the elements like that, but you may be able to find an industrial grade sensor that would work.
Kevin Pierson
icrman 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2008 at 10:06 AM / IP Logged  
What about putting it in a plastic box or something? And sealed real good of course.
KPierson 
Posted: March 27, 2008 at 10:17 AM / IP Logged  

That may be worth a shot - just make sure the box is weatherproof.  What is under the vehicle that you need to protect?

Kevin Pierson
icrman 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2008 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  

Well I saw a deal on the news that people are carrying a battery powered saws all and in a few minutes they have an as scrap value $100 plus catalytic converter for one, and for two there was also a deal on the news showing  someone jabbing a screw driver in a gas tank to steal gas. So what do you think is under there worth protecting?  Cost to replace that converter would probably run into 200 to 300, and about 300 or more for a gas tank with a hole in it.  So that is close to 600 dollars worth of stuff to protect and that is only 2 items, if you have 2 gas tanks like on a truck, then add another 300 so that is close to 1000 now.

KPierson 
Posted: March 27, 2008 at 10:06 PM / IP Logged  

I would like to think a shock sensor would be enough protection against both of those.

The thing about cats and gas is that all cars have them.  If a thief walks up to a car with a flashing red LED from an aftermarket alarm then he will most likely move to an easier target.

Lucky for me my car sits low enough that I don't have to worry about anyone climbing underneath it any time soon!

Kevin Pierson

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic