icon

boston acoustic pro60 and gt amp setup

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
98k1500chevy 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2008 at 9:32 AM / IP Logged  
Hi, i am new at all this so im sorry if this question is stupid but i have a set of boston acoustic pro 60's and they are rated at 125 rms each side at 3 ohms, i have heard these things can handle 300rms on each side no problem, but i don't want to over power them that much, i am looking at getting 2 boston gt20 amplifiers to power these, i want to use one amp for each side, the amp is rated at
2x45W Multi-Ch. Power @ 4-ohm (12.6VDC)
2x80W Multi-Ch. Power @ 2-ohm (12.6VDC)
1x165W Dual-Mono Power @ 4-ohm(12.6VDC)
1x220W Dual-Mono Power @ 2-ohm (12.6vdc)
so my question is how would i wire this up for a 3 ohm load ? and how much would the final rms wattage be? i don't get how to get between the 2 ohm loads and the 4 ohm loads to get a 3 ohm, again sorry if this is a dumb question and thank you
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2008 at 10:02 AM / IP Logged  

98k1500chevy wrote:
so my question is how would i wire this up for a 3 ohm load ? and how much would the final rms wattage be? i don't get how to get between the 2 ohm loads and the 4 ohm loads to get a 3 ohm, again sorry if this is a dumb question and thank you

The question isn't dumb.

Your wiring isn't going to work - you can't bridge that amplifier to those componets - you'll end up with a 1.5ohm load on each channel - and those Boston amps aren't designed for that.  With a 3-ohm nominal impedence you need a full-range amplifier stable at 1.5 ohms - and the *only* thing I can think of -

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_amps.php?amp_id=437

You would bridge each componet to a pair of channels - you'll get ur 300 watts - in a single amplifier as well.

I think Alpine might make a PDX that would work for ya as well.

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
98k1500chevy 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2008 at 10:06 AM / IP Logged  
ok, so why doesn't boston make an amp that works with their components lol? i would like to keep all boston not for any particular reason just to keep it all one brand, and the reason i was using two amps is for space issues
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2008 at 10:20 AM / IP Logged  

98k1500chevy wrote:
ok, so why doesn't boston make an amp that works with their components lol?

Bridging componets is a relatively irregular situation - I think in most cases the 3-ohm coil would be more desirable than universal bridgeability.

98k1500chevy wrote:
i would like to keep all boston not for any particular reason just to keep it all one brand, and the reason i was using two amps is for space issues

The single JL Audio amplifier I linked to above will take up considerably less space than two Boston GT-20's - and JL Audio certainly is in the same class of equipment as Boston Acoustics.

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic