icon

best amp for 200

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
audioman2007 
Copper - Posts: 580
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2008 at 9:56 PM / IP Logged  
I already have an amp for my system BUT I am looking to get a better brand. I dont want to spend anymore than $200 though. I want a well known, respectable, and reliable amp for its price. The amp will be powering 2 12" earthquake DBX SVC handling 800 a piece. Thank you.
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2008 at 11:21 PM / IP Logged  

audioman2007 wrote:
handling 800 a piece

You want an amp that makes some ~1500 watts that is well known, respectable, reliable, and costs $200?

best amp for 200 -- posted image.

Good luck with that.

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2008 at 12:53 AM / IP Logged  
James is right... A GOOD 1500 watts is going to be twice that money, to start, probably more in the 3 to 4 times that range.
50 cents a watt is where I'd start looking for any kind of respectability.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2008 at 6:22 AM / IP Logged  
I dont need an amp that will push the subs at their rated RMS. I dont need a 1500 watt amp. Could I go with an amp that is lower in wattage?
sedate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2008 at 10:44 AM / IP Logged  

audioman2007 wrote:
I dont need an amp that will push the subs at their rated RMS. I dont need a 1500 watt amp. Could I go with an amp that is lower in wattage?

Sure but that isn't how you phrased your question. 

The bottom line is that 200 is a pretty tiny budget for a sub amp - if you could get that to 3 or 4 you'd have a zillion decent choices.

If I absolutely HAD to purchase a budget sub amp -

http://www.cadencestore.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=125&idproduct=380

I stress the word 'budget'

audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2008 at 2:26 PM / IP Logged  
Well I cant really spend alot right now, because I am getting married and also getting ready to move into a house, but if this was any other time, I would easily spend more.  Anyways, I really like Earthquake products. I also have their speakers and a 600 watt 4 channel TNT amp. Would any of their amps work good for my subs?
sedate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2008 at 3:46 PM / IP Logged  

Wow congrats - I'd rather have my own home than a fancy amp anyday.

Now a wife or fancy amplifier - that's a lot tougher. best amp for 200 -- posted image.

Anywho - earthquake amps look pretty cheezy - IMO the best rule of thumb is

http://www.earthquakesound.com/tnt.htm

"If the amplifier specs mention "max" or "peak" power - don't buy it"

On the other hand, the equipment doesn't look expensive and you said you like the 4-channel - go ahead and purchase it if you feel like a low budget solution is right for you.

I think most people here would tell you a REAL couple of hundred watts or so would be more desirable than these other options, including that budget Cadence I linked to above - you're still pretty constrained at $200 though.  I'd much rather have a modest, high-quality amplifier than a hifonics or a earthquake - or heaven forbid a sony or pyle or something.

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=249

All I got for ya.

willdkartunes 
Copper - Posts: 250
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2008 at 10:38 PM / IP Logged  

I have to agree that anyone would be hard pressed to find a good amp at the $200 limit that would be able to put out that kind of power! Of course, I completely understand your budget situation so check this amp out:

http://www.online/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?Productid=19341

Definitely a "decent" amp putting out plenty of power for your subs and it's under your $200 budget. How do you like them apples?

Do whatever makes you happy in life without diminishing the happiness of others
force 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2008 at 11:44 AM / IP Logged  
Um the only amp I can think of for around that price range and is a decent amp is the HIfonics BXi1606D. You can get it for 210 shipped on ebay. Thats the best one I can give ya. Good luck
mcben789 
Copper - Posts: 171
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2008 at 9:22 PM / IP Logged  
Go for a used product on ebay if you've only got 200 singles to blow.
Sasquatch...
We know your legend's real...
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic