icon

who removes battery cable?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
azaudio41 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2008 at 11:13 AM / IP Logged  
who here removes the cable from the battery before working on a vehicle, like most instructions usually say to do first?
chillin420 
Copper - Posts: 236
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2008 at 1:54 PM / IP Logged  

most any of the installers that i work with do this..  it is  a good practice to have and helps prevent any "problems" that you could have during install.

you can do it....
advanced MECP, lol does it really matter....
patience is a virtue
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2008 at 3:14 PM / IP Logged  
Any professional should do this.  Not paying attention to basic safety procedures is asking for trouble.
Support the12volt.com
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2008 at 12:01 PM / IP Logged  

I always get a circuit breaker instead of a fuse for my power wire - so I usually trip the circuit breaker when I work on the car.

Removing my battery terminals is a *real* pain.

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
evileagletalon 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2008 at 8:47 PM / IP Logged  
i don't remove it.....
usabuilt 
Copper - Posts: 161
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2008 at 10:06 AM / IP Logged  
On newer cars disconnecting the battery is not allways the best idea, plus depending on what your doing you need to best testing circuits.
with alot of newer cars you need to be carefull not to turn the ign key on with any oem plugs disconnected or it will send an error message to the computer, I found this out on a brand new Mercedes, thankfully a couple of trips around the block cleared it up.
johnmax 
Copper - Posts: 131
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2008 at 11:18 AM / IP Logged  

Yes as USAbuilt says, some new cars disconnecting the battery causes a ton of problems that the dealer only can fix. We had some chryslers (300, magnum, etc) when they came out if you disconnected the battery when you reconnected it a ton of lights were on and the car was stuck in limp mode. Not cool.

In 16 years I have hardly ever disconnected a battery before working on a vehicle. Only exceptions are when its absolutely necessary, like when pulling off a steering wheel or pulling out a seat with bags or sensors in them.

KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 09, 2008 at 6:18 PM / IP Logged  

johnmax.... I like "limp mode" thats good!

I agree with USA, depends on what I am doing to said car. Big toonage etc. doors open for ever, cars around in the shop for a few days.... or more.

A deck and 4, or a simple 1 or 2 amp setup, an alarm/remote start, NOPE!  (how do you test anything with the battery unhooked?) 

joch1314 
Copper - Posts: 301
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2008 at 5:30 PM / IP Logged  
I agree with not having to remove the battery cable every single time your working on a car.  But in newer vehicles like johnmax said, it's a good idea to disconnect the cable when having to remove a seat with sensors in them.  I had a 08' silverado in my shop for a simple amp job, but had to mount the amp under the seat.  Not wanting to take a chance with any error messages, i disconnected the cable and no problems.  Most other times i wouldn't have done that, but newer GM vehicles are getting to be real pains in the @#4. 
...half of the truth can be worse than a lie. <----Roger Russell said that..
luckytii7 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2008 at 6:01 PM / IP Logged  

99 % of the time i dont disconnect the battery. just use your head, simply put that if you ground anything power you may have issues. hook up the power last if you can and if you have to disconnect the battery they make memory savers that you plug into the wall and plug into the cig lighter with a 5 amp fuse that will blow first if you screw up. If you disconnect something like a VW beetle have fun resetting the security on the radio

The greatest revenge is living well and showing it
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic