the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

good news extremis lovers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2008 at 1:33 PM / IP Logged  
Got a buddy of mine in Ventura who loved the Extremis woofers, and was VERY sad to see them go...
After some research on the 'net, he was able to find a driver that CLAIMED to do what it did, so he ordered a pair. Was at his house yesterday, and I must say I was duly impressed!
Clicky!!!
Same money as the Extremis was, and performance DEFINITELY on a par with (and in some instances, efficiency specifically) the Extremis. Good to know that we haven't COMPLETELY lost Dan's knowledge!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2008 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged  
Dan is still designing LOTS of drivers...
Support the12volt.com
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 30, 2008 at 5:02 PM / IP Logged  

There are some minor differences.  From what I understand they reduced the upper end bandwidth a little bit to provide even more low end capabilities. 

Kevin Haskins of DIY Cable has one of his own as well.  It goes the opposite direction by focusing on improving the response in the 1-3 kHz range but at the cost of reducing the low frequency extention a bit.  This also means it's an easier load to amplify.  He uses it in all his new speaker kits and will not be offering it for sale outside of the kits.  So this means that Bob's driver will be the only one available for your own DIY projects.

Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2008 at 8:00 PM / IP Logged  
Im glad I got mine in time before they sold out, but hopefully in the future i'll be able to find 4 ohm replacements like my Extremis 6.4's.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
mcben789 
Copper - Posts: 171
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2008 at 8:06 PM / IP Logged  
This may be a little off topic, but would I be able to tell a significant difference between this and say the components I have? (Diamond Audio Hex w/ silk tweeter)
I just wanted to know because I was thinking about maybe putting together my own components from speakers they sell like on madisound.com.
Just wondering if spending the extra money would show a significant difference in my music listening experience :)
Sasquatch...
We know your legend's real...
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 30, 2008 at 11:01 PM / IP Logged  
There is a thread somewhere on the net I found a while back comparing the old extremis to the new driver taking its place
haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2008 at 11:07 PM / IP Logged  
mcben... it MIGHT. One thing you will have to keep in mind is that those drivers are VERY deep. I had to create a 1 inch thinck spacer to get them in my doors at ALL... and they STILL interfere with the window going all the way down.
FANTASTIC mid-bass and bass. (not SUB bass) CRAZY linearity, and pretty decent output, too. I'd say you might get something out of them!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2008 at 11:29 PM / IP Logged  

mcben wrote:
Just wondering if spending the extra money would show a significant difference in my music listening experience

Something tells me that if you asking a question like that - you'd probably be happiest with a nice generic midrange car speaker from - say - CDT.

I dunno.

mcben wrote:
I just wanted to know because I was thinking about maybe putting together my own components from speakers they sell like on madisound.com.

I think that this is always a fun idea to toy with - but the aforementioned problems of integrateing drivers like these into overall vehicular functionality tends be, IMO, far more trouble that it would otherwise be worth.

I mean - I like clean sound and all - but this

haemph wrote:
I had to create a 1 inch thinck spacer to get them in my doors at ALL... and they STILL interfere with the window going all the way down.

is dedication!  Wow.

mcben wrote:
Just wondering if spending the extra money would show a significant difference in my music listening experience

Maybe I'm wrong, but I betcha haemph's drivers are the cheapest major componets of his system . . .

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
haemphyst 
Posted: March 30, 2008 at 11:57 PM / IP Logged  
Ummmmm.... I think my tweeters are. JL VR Series silk domes, at 90.00 for the pair.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 30, 2008 at 11:57 PM / IP Logged  

mcben789 wrote:
This may be a little off topic, but would I be able to tell a significant difference between this and say the components I have? (Diamond Audio Hex w/ silk tweeter)
Just wondering if spending the extra money would show a significant difference in my music listening experience :)

Although the Extremis type woofer would be a better performer than the one used in the Diamond set; it would take a LOT of time, money, and work to design a speaker system that would excel over the Diamond Audio set.  And if you went with the woofer available from Creative Sound Solutions you would probably have to design around a 3-way topology which increases difficulty tenfold.  The question you have to ask yourself is whether you have the means and patience to try it.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic