icon

yellow top or red top?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lostissues 
Copper - Posts: 103
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2008 at 11:11 AM / IP Logged  
Ive ran into a lot of people saying that the yellow are pointless and the red is the way to do. anyone have any facts on this? the yellow says it is made for car audio but is it only if you plan on playing your system with your car off? any other benefits from one or the other (other then more cold cranking amps on the red top)?
any info would be great.
Thanks,
Jonathan
StealthEs 
Copper - Posts: 326
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2008 at 12:05 PM / IP Logged  
Yellow top arent meant to be a starting battery. If you use it as a second battery great if not no. The red is meant to be used as a starting battery. Thats why people are telling you to get a red top.
Cris
lostissues 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2008 at 1:33 PM / IP Logged  

Even though the red may have better cranking amps then the yellow, both are still better then my stock battery so although the red may be better then the yellow, if I were to go either way it would still be better then what I have now, so in that department it shouldn’t matter much right? from what I understand is that the yellows are made to go to the edge of dying and then be brought back to a full charge, so to me that means I can run my system with the car off and then be able to turn it on, but I don't really run it with my car off very often at all. So is it worth it for me to get the yellow top, because I do have a system (kicker 100.1 and an older RF 300 watt 4 ch) that I run while I'm driving. I also have a remote start alarm with window mods and a few other electronics.

thanks,

Jonathan

lostissues 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2008 at 1:38 PM / IP Logged  

wow, cannot use word to spell check, sorry

can i edit the post above?

the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2008 at 1:49 PM / IP Logged  
You can use Word to spell check, just copy and paste it into Notepad, then copy from Notepad into your post. You can also use ieSpell for IE or the spell check built into Firefox. BTW, your post has been fixed.
yellow top or red top? -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
sergeantnic 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2008 at 2:08 PM / IP Logged  

You don't have to buy Optima's to get a good AGM (Absorbed Glass Matt) battery.  Take a look at MK Powered.  You'll spend a little less and get the same performance.

Bass Pro shops usually have a sale twice a year on the 24 series for $65 - $70 and they are usually $100 a piece or more.

sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2008 at 12:08 AM / IP Logged  

lostissues wrote:
Ive ran into a lot of people saying that the yellow are pointless and the red is the way to do. anyone have any facts on this?

Yea these people are idiots.  Back when I didn't know any better, I recieved and followed this advice and it was some of the most expensive, frusterating, and flat out WRONG information I've ever recieved. 

The Red Top is certainly far superior to a stock SLI battery - but its got nothing on the Yellow.  Please remember that very few people have experience with more than one type of specialty battery and BOTH of these batteries are far superior to whatever came with your car.

The Red Top has the feature of being spill-proof and highly resistant to things like vibration.  No, not subwoofers - vibration from rock-climbing or other extreme PHYSICAL applications.  The Yellow is designed for electrical applications.

stealthes wrote:
Yellow top arent meant to be a starting battery. If you use it as a second battery great if not no. The red is meant to be used as a starting battery. Thats why people are telling you to get a red top.

What?  The Yellow is perfectly fine for use as a battery to use as a starting battery.  Why do you think a deep cycle capable 12volt battery can't start a car?  This statement is just bizarre.  People are telling him to get a Red Top because they are poorly informed.

The Red Top is built to withstand physical NOT electrical abuse. The Red Top is for rock climbers, off road vehicles, strange mounting locations, NOT car audio.

Not only is the Yellow built to withstand the constant high amperage demands of a car audio system, it can actually be recharged if it dips below ~10v or so.  Do that to Red and kiss it goodbye.  This has nothing to do with playing your system with the car off - this has to do with showing your system a relentless 12.5v.

EDIT:  Here's one thread with a few links in it to both sides of the argument.  Of course, I won 'em all! yellow top or red top? -- posted image.

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=102818&KW=sedate

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2008 at 8:11 AM / IP Logged  
I'll reiterate my response from the linked thread... Thanks, sedate!
Red-top. Pure and simple. Done and done.
I don't think you "won" anything, James! yellow top or red top? -- posted image.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
lostissues 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2008 at 2:27 PM / IP Logged  

Reading around one the links you guys have given and by googleing I have not gotten a definitive answer to what is better, just opinions, but i didn't really expect a simple answer. reading around i have heard a lot about the red tops not coming back from a draining from quite a few people, but i have never heard anything bad about the yellow top other then it is a little more expensive then the red top. so at this point in time until i hear definitive proof that the red is better then the yellow, i will pay the extra for the yellow top. I have not heard anything bad about them (other then price diff.) and that is also what the manufacture suggests. so I'm going to go with a yellow top.

Thanks guys!

Jonathan

KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 01, 2008 at 5:02 PM / IP Logged  

I can vouch for the yellow top being a great starting battery.  I can also vouch for it being very durable, even when the car wasn't driven much.

I currently have a red top in my G35 coupe (mostly stock electrical system) and I haven't been too impressed.  I've already had one replaced under warranty (no hassles, that was nice).  The car doesn't get driven much (<20K miles in it and its an '04) and the red top doesn't like to sit.  I now keep it on a trickle charger at all times and it seems to do better.

Kevin Pierson
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic