icon

big 3 upgrade or bigger cap?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ruggerman 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2008 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  
 I have a 08zx750.1 pushing 2 cvr12's wired to a 2 ohm load, as well as a profile ap1000 running my highs. On certain songs with lower frequencies it draws so much power the lights dim and the amp shuts off. I have 4 awg power and ground to a tsunami 2 farad cap, 8awg from the cap to the amps. The cap reading drops to high 9 or low 10 volts at times too. Do I need a bigger cap or just to do the Big 3 upgrade 1st? And should the kicker amp have 4 awg power/ground?
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 31, 2008 at 8:31 PM / IP Logged  
Upgrade the big three and use 4 gauge for everthing.
If the voltage is dropping down to the 9s than actually you NEED a new High Output Alternator.
ruggerman 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2008 at 2:23 PM / IP Logged  
OK Abt to do the Big 3, read and reread, and reread again DYohn's post, I have what appears to be 8 awg running from my bat to solonoid on the starter and then looks like single strand 10 maybe 12 from there to the alt. Do i leave the bat to solonoid and run say 2 or even 1 awg from bat directly to alt? I know to use same wire for both grounds as i use for the pos connection.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 01, 2008 at 5:02 PM / IP Logged  
I'm not sure if the big three is enough if you have voltage drop down into the 9's.
Anyways just go straight from the alternator to the battery..leave all the factory wires alone
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2008 at 5:17 PM / IP Logged  
Yes you do need 4 awg for the power and ground on your kicker amp for sure, not sure about the Profile though. Your drawing way too much current for a stock alternator to handle, yours is going to be fried very shortly, and either before that happens or when that happens, get a high output alternator.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
ruggerman 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2008 at 5:17 PM / IP Logged  

Will this wire be ok to use??

Stinger HPM Premium Power Wire is made of True-Spec? tinned Oxygen-free Copper with a 70% higher twist rate than most other similar-gauge wire. The hyper-twist design boasts tighter reverse-lay construction and the most copper per square inch of any Stinger cable to date. The result is remarkable flexibility, reduced resistance and superb conductivity for high-powered car audio systems.

The high strand count and reverse lay construction make the HPM Premium Power Wire extremely flexible, allowing for tighter install turns, while the smooth matte finish of the PVC jacket slides easily during installation. This jacket is heat, oil, and chemical-resistant, protecting the wire from the harshest automotive environments. Brand New-You are bidding on 1 foot lengths of Oxygen Free Copper Wire (OFC) For example 8 bids = 8 feet

Features:

• HPM 1/0 Gauge Premium Power Cable
  • Strand Count: 4214
  • Hyper-Twist Design = Increased Flexibility & Current Transfer
  • Advanced PVC Jacket = Flexibility, High resistance to Heat (1050C rated), Oil, Chemicals and Abrasion
  • Ultra Flexible = Easier Installation
  • Matte Finish = Easier Installation and Killer Looks!
  • Tinned Conductors
  • Blue
ruggerman 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2008 at 5:39 PM / IP Logged  
I found a 200 amp alt for my car produces 2oo at 1200 rpm.s 105 at idle will that work?
Alpine Guy 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2008 at 7:21 PM / IP Logged  
What car is it, and whats the stock alternator output?
And yes, that wire is good quality wire, just remember to protect it under the hood with split loom.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
ruggerman 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2008 at 7:45 PM / IP Logged  
96 cavalier stock alt is 105 amp. should i try just the Big 3 upgrade 1st? If i still need th HO alt i`ll already have the wires ready anyway.
Alpine Guy 
Posted: April 01, 2008 at 8:39 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, do the big 3 first, but it definately sounds like your alt is going to die very soon, you shouldn't be dropping below 12 volts at all with your stereo cranked, if you are for more than a second from a hard beat then it's time to upgrade.
Upgrading to a 200 amp alt will for sure help you out.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic