icon

amp requiring certain gauge?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wishuponansg 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2008 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  

hi the amp i bought (hifonics bxi1606d) says it "requires" 4 awg wire, i have 0awg for it, does this mean i bout 0 awg for no reason? or is this saying that you have to 4 awg or bigger? any help is appreciated

-sean

spookiestylez 
Silver - Posts: 531
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2008 at 11:05 PM / IP Logged  
bigger is better.period. Run that 0awg back to your trunk or wherever and then use a distribution block to give 4g to your hifonics amp.that way you have room to amp a nice 4 ch amp to your setup.
rtfm
wishuponansg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2008 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  
ok, thats good, the kit comes with a distribution block, and i also have a 4 channel amp for my system. good to know this will work. thanks for the information.
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2008 at 11:11 AM / IP Logged  
Be sure that you fuse the wires properly to prevent a fire! The 0 awg wire must be fused within 12" of the battery with a fuse that is 350 Amps or less, and the distrobution block must be a fused distrobution block so you can fuse the 4 awg wire at 150 Amp's or less.
If the distrobution block is not a fused block, then put no larger than a 150 Amp fuse at the battery.
Be sure your grounds are at least the same size as the power wire going into the amp ( 4awg power, 4 awg ground), and they must be bolted to bare metal in the car (scrape away the paint). They must be solid, you should be able to tug on it without it budging. Believe it of not, your current actually flows through the ground and out the positive (electron flow), so be sure that ground is solid, otherwise you wasted time running the 0 awg power wire.
If you end up having a light dimming problem, look into doing the Big 3 upgrade, look at the sticky at the top of the car audio page for more information.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
wishuponansg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2008 at 11:19 AM / IP Logged  
i really appreciate the help.... but i have no idea what you just said.
usabuilt 
Copper - Posts: 161
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2008 at 11:40 AM / IP Logged  
If your only using one amplifier, you wasted your money and did alot of extra work for nutin, Zero gauge can run the city of manhattan. :)
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2008 at 12:38 PM / IP Logged  

wishuponansg wrote:
i really appreciate the help.... but i have no idea what you just said.

Then please go get some help from an installer, as I'd hate to hear you burned your car to the ground.  amp requiring certain gauge? -- posted image.

Support the12volt.com
Alpine Guy 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2008 at 2:28 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, it doesn't get more simple than my explanation, if it still does not make sense please get it installed professionally, then look at what they did and learn from that, there is no shame in that, there is just so much information to know to properly install a system to get it to work properly, and safely. I'm still learning, and I have been at this for 8 years, and I'm an electrical technician as of 2 weeks from now.
And trust me, even though your "buddy's" say they know what there doing, 98% chance they haven't the slightest clue, get it done right the first time, it's worth it.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
wishuponansg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2008 at 4:43 PM / IP Logged  
yeah, i was basically just going to install the speakers and HU myself, and then just take it to a professional for the amps and subs.
Alpine Guy 
Posted: April 04, 2008 at 6:32 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, be sure to solder and tape the connections for the head unit. Be sure to use a wire harness for your car, you don't want to hack off your factory radio plug.
Good luck!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic