icon

box advice

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
daboss593 
Copper - Posts: 154
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2008 at 10:05 AM / IP Logged  
capt super noob here. well we all know about the big box debate. im almost ready to put my subs in which are not junk, but not the best either. a pair of 1252w infinities. running at 2 ohms. at this time ive got a bandpass box. i do listen to alot of low bass rap, and techno. ive emailed infinity they said it would work fine in this type of incloser. well i wanted some pro advice. ive also seen some stuff to put in the boxes these days that will help with sound issues. aka filler etc. as always  being a noob in car audio, all opinions are welcome please thanx.
OWWWWWWWWWWW you said you discharged the cap!
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2008 at 10:23 AM / IP Logged  
If low is what you are after, I think that chasing the bandpass solution is the wrong path. Bandpasses will offer very good efficiency, but not low, unless the enclosure is as big as the car is.
I think you'll do WAY better off with a large-ish vented enclosure. Tuning will be something you'll have to play with, but tuned for somewhere around 40Hz will offer loud, while still offering some amount of extension.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
daboss593 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2008 at 4:22 AM / IP Logged  

yeah after doing a little more research. im going to go ahead with a vented box around 35-45 hrz tuned. thanx for the input.

daboss593 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2008 at 2:51 PM / IP Logged  
didnt want to start another post so. found a shop in my area for around 150$ will make a custom fit box and tune it to my spec. this to much? i didnt think so to be honest. bringing the car their thursday. also got a 1 yr warranty. advice as always is welcome thanx..
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2008 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged  
A buck and a half for a custom box is a pretty good price. Make sure that for that money, (which IS pretty low) that they are using 3/4" MDF, NOT thinner 5/8" MDF or particleboard.
Otherwise, good price...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2008 at 8:20 PM / IP Logged  

Yea the last shop that tried to sell me a box wanted 300 for a custom ported job - and this was only for a box shaped box - slanting the rear flush with my back seats would have been "very complicated" and they needed another 100 for that 'custom work.'

I was so astounded I asked around - apparently this is a common price 'round here.

I think I spend about $100 on a box I build myself - not included the cost of the tools.

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
daboss593 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2008 at 9:47 AM / IP Logged  

well to be honest this guys shop is new. hes really not making anything on the box and its 3/4 inch mdf. all he asked in return was to be able to lv his logo on the box and hand out some bizz cards. seems he just wants a little help getting his bizz going. the pump mobile goes there thursday to have the trunk measured. and you guys are right it does seem a little cheap. but ill make sure its not a pos.

aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 08, 2008 at 4:16 PM / IP Logged  
He is making something on the box...cost of materials is less than $150
daboss593 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2008 at 12:54 PM / IP Logged  
act the price was the max would be 150$ he said prob around 100$ but still he has to make a living right?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2008 at 2:03 PM / IP Logged  
That's a good deal for both of you.  Support your local shops!!
Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic