Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
seeker1 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2008 at 11:04 PM / IP Logged  

Thank you for input.

i an an idiot

Yes there is an antenna lead, but from what I understand it's only hot when the radio is on. Not the cd. This is what i was going to use to switch a relay for the main power for the amps. I have 2 Infinity's 1 ref611a for the sub & ref7541a for the front and rears. Closing in on a 1000 watts with the 2 combined. This rig is for my daughter so I have no doubt she'll be sitting around with just the stereo on. Everything is wired through the remote battery in the trunk just so she can, and not kill the starter. If the antenna wire does not work, going straight to the hot lead (red wire) on the head unit is my backup. I'm just an anal retentive tweaker that wants it my way. Amps on only when the head unit is on.

dualsport

I like your idea of a voltage comparator. Any ideas of where I can go to due some research on them and figure it out?

Seeker1                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       The anal retentive tweaker

Only the strong survive.
Eat the weak.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,673
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 08, 2008 at 11:15 PM / IP Logged  
In most cases the power antenna wire is only hot when the radio is on. Since this unit has no power amp remote wire, I really think that the power antenna wire will be hot anytime the deck is on, cd, radio, usb, whatever it has. Connect it and try it. Years ago before there was a separate amp turn on wire, the power antenna wire was the amp wire and they were hot anytime the radio was on.
You can't tweak it until it gets in the car.
dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2008 at 1:22 AM / IP Logged  
Here's a datasheet for a comparator you could look at for ideas-
comparator
If you use the example in Figure 2 for inverting comparator with hysteresis, you could use the output to control a transistor driver to turn on a relay when the Vin input goes above a set threshold. The comparator can only sink a small amount of current, so it won't be able to drive a relay directly.
If you use a current sense resistor for the input signal, you should be able to tweak the resistor values so that it'll turn on when the head unit is powered on. Just use a small enough resistance so it doesn't affect your input power too much, but large enough to get a signal for the comparator to work with.
Here's a link for a nice description of its uses:
comparator info
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic