icon

sq system planning

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ferretvw 
Copper - Posts: 188
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2008 at 1:56 PM / IP Logged  

My last two vehicles have been mostly SPL (2 12" L7's in a huge ported box tuned around 35 getting 1500 real watts) and I have kind of grown out of that phase I guess. I have always had a clean front stage (Infinity Kappa Perfect 6 1/2 components on a Infinity 7521 amp) but I am wondering if in my new vehicle (2008 Scion xB) if I should stick with the kappa perfects and add a dedicated woofer up front (8 inch or so) or if I should start from scratch. I mostly want good SQ now and just wanted someone more knowledgeable than myself's input. If you have any questions feel free to ask and nothing is for sure yet but I am leaning towards the AVIC D3 as my source as it has everything I want. So let's hear your opinions. Thank you.

Richard  

2008 Scion xB
Pioneer AVIC-D3
RF 3Sixty.2 sound processor
Stock speakers (for now ;))
bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2008 at 2:24 PM / IP Logged  

I'm partial to Eclipse and Kicker systems. The D3 is a good base, but I do recommend an external sound processor to give precision sound for the driver.

Your SQ will mostly depend on the install more than what products you use. Better products mean larger tolerance for inconsistancies. Even cheap stuff can sound great but it'll be one heck of a trip to get them there.

If your budget is huge, Kicker RS or Cadence, or Legacy ES series is great. Partiularly the ES. I've heard these before and if you are an obcessed audiophile, they are worth the 6-digit price tag. ($10k just to audition them)

Polk's db series has great output and high power handling, but they feel muddy in the upper tones. Kicker's have wonderful output, but hte bass line is a bit weaker than average. Eclipse has wonderful all tone output and intense sound control, but they do not have as strong an output as Polk or Kicker. Then you have Alpine with crisp sound with no "surprise" notes, but suffers a bit in hardiness. Pioneer's are an excellent budget setup but the RMS handling is only fair.

So, in summary, it's more about what kind of sound you want really. You are going for SQ, but it doesn't sound like you want to get into SQ competitions. You sound like you want a quality sound setup for yourself and everyday use. Am I wrong?

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
boogeyman 
Silver - Posts: 359
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2008 at 6:37 PM / IP Logged  
 go to car audio forums and take a look at      ADVANCED FRONT SPEAKER SYSTEMS HOW TO bysteven kephart and COMPREHENSIVE FRONT STAGE SETUP by steven kephart and last but not least look at HOW TO ACHIEVE AWESOME MIDBASS by speakermakers.......that should help you out

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic