sealing inside of mdf box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
thumpinbass 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2008 at 6:38 PM / IP Logged  

Hey guys,

I'm in the process of building my sub box and I used to just use some silicone sealant that I normally have laying around along all the inside edges to make sure they are airtight.

I was wondering what else everyone uses.   I know some people will use FB resin, but I won't be using any on my project, so I don't have any.

Right now on hand, I have a full tube of bathroom/kitchen white silicone sealant.  Will this due or should i get something else. 

Hope to hear something soon as I am at the point right now to seal the box before adding the ports that I am putting in.

Thanks! - Allen

joyrydn 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2008 at 9:44 PM / IP Logged  
to answer your question soon i hope, i always use 100% silicone, white or clear. not the acrylic kind though it gets too weak and you can blow out your seal under high pressure.  the best way i found to seal a box is to add a small bead to the joint before screwing the box together, but on the inside of the joint so when you screw it together, it will squees into the boxcreating an airtight seal everytime. hope that helps.
Make it Euro'n!!!
bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2008 at 12:36 PM / IP Logged  

Silicone good... Carpenter's Glue better (In my opinion). Both are good at sealing joints. During Construction I lay a bead of wood glue down where the wood comes in contact. Wood glue shrinks as it cures so it pulls joints together tighter (Just a bit, but still tighter). It also seeps into the fibers of the wood for better bite. If I am really in need of a serious seal, I also skim coat the surfaces of the MDF with wood glue as well as silicone the joints as added sealing. Then to kill bad vibes, I line it with dynamat. MDF breathes a LOT.

Ganbatte ne!

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
joyrydn 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2008 at 3:16 PM / IP Logged  
hey bellsracer where did our posts go?
Make it Euro'n!!!
bellsracer 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2008 at 2:36 AM / IP Logged  
Violation of code of conduct... I warned you about that. Careful... they may delete account next time. It's happened before.
Melted Fabric 
Silver - Posts: 509
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2008 at 10:15 AM / IP Logged  
Bells, I tried to reply but your Inbox was full on here, just an FYI for ya.
thumpinbass, about your box, I co-sign everything bellsracer said, and if you feel like experimenting for a bad vibe killer, I like edead, it comes in a liquid form if your box has an odd shape to it and if lining it with a "mat" deadner is a little more difficult for your situation.
Or, you can line it with the mat, then assemble and seal it like Bellsracer mentioned, just my twocents.
Link:
http://www.edesignaudio.com/index.php?cPath=1_24
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.
capamonkeyboy 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2008 at 3:44 PM / IP Logged  
Elmers and lots of it. I built a box that has held together with nothing but elmers and it has lasted 5 years in the back of a car with a very abusive owner.
The best security is to not have anything to steal, but then again your car would be pretty boring.
joyrydn 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2008 at 8:38 PM / IP Logged  
bells, if i offended you personally, i appologize. i was just quoting family guy, i meant nothing by it, just joking.  i hope you didnt report it, sorry just the same though. no hard feelings?  i also havent seen any posts from you on my headliner thread, check it out and let me know, thanks.
Make it Euro'n!!!
bellsracer 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2008 at 4:34 PM / IP Logged  

Melted Fabric wrote:
Bells, I tried to reply but your Inbox was full on here, just an FYI for ya.
thumpinbass, about your box, I co-sign everything bellsracer said, and if you feel like experimenting for a bad vibe killer, I like edead, it comes in a liquid form if your box has an odd shape to it and if lining it with a "mat" deadner is a little more difficult for your situation.
Or, you can line it with the mat, then assemble and seal it like Bellsracer mentioned, just my twocents.
~snip~
  Oh my... I'm sorry. I didn't realize that it was full. >.< I missed you dear. How are you? Mailbox cleaned out, so try sending again ok? TYVM! I particularly like to use the mat over the joint areas. The tar/asphalt/etc mix stuff makes for a really strong seal along the joints. It's best to add mat along the joints after the assembly and then if need be, use liquid deadender (I like Mudd). Just my four cents >.<

joyrydn wrote:
bells, if i offended you personally, i appologize. i was just quoting family guy, i meant nothing by it, just joking.  i hope you didnt report it, sorry just the same though. no hard feelings?  i also havent seen any posts from you on my headliner thread, check it out and let me know, thanks.
  You didn't offend me at all. But that post was in direct violation of TOS. I didn't need to report it. My guess is that a Mod found it and did as she/he was supposed to do.

Send me a link for your headliner thread. I'll take a look.

joyrydn 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2008 at 9:24 PM / IP Logged  

bells,  here is the link to my thread, how many layers of glass would be ideal for a headliner, there is plenty of anchor points, no add-ons just smooth glass. extended cab f150

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~103305~PN~1

Make it Euro'n!!!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic